KDE Frameworks 5 Tech Preview Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    It's interesting that the full tech preview is out now. As I understand, it's just the packages; are there any plans for anyone to make a LiveCD of it?
    It's the tech preview of the libraries. There's not much UI to put on a live CD :-) But if you want to give a try to software running on top of the frameworks, give a try to project neon which AFAIK also provides a weekly image. It features Plasma 2 and some of the applications which are already ported (e.g. Konsole and Kate).

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
      Yeah, I would be very interested in seeing a Live CD with maybe even Wayland on it, too. AFAIK, KDE should be working under Wayland at this point.
      As a matter of fact the libraries do not use Wayland at all. Almost all libraries are windowing system independent and don't care about the platform. The only prominent framework which is windowing system specific is KWindowSystem and that is not yet supporting Wayland and won't for quite some time.

KDE Applications should just work with Wayland. E.g. you can run Kate as a Wayland application. The Plasma workspace does not yet support Wayland - the support was completely disabled during porting. Just today I re-enabled that support and it's now on the same level as 4.11, but not more.

Patience :-)

Comment

So, how about instead of talking about the obvious troll, we talk about the article at hand?

It's interesting that the full tech preview is out now. As I understand, it's just the packages; are there any plans for anyone to make a LiveCD of it?

It's also nice that it's all modularised and doesn't require heavy dependencies. That bodes well for LXDE-Qt.
        No need for a live cd - there are repositorys for 4 Distros with binaries: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Binary_Packages
        At least for opensuse I verified that those packages are coinstallable with KDE SC 4 and Qt 4, see https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repo...E_Frameworks_5

I?ll just try them for fun in a few seconds ...
        kate and konsole are also there
        who needs more?
        Last edited by tomtomme; 07 January 2014, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
          It's the tech preview of the libraries. There's not much UI to put on a live CD :-) But if you want to give a try to software running on top of the frameworks, give a try to project neon which AFAIK also provides a weekly image. It features Plasma 2 and some of the applications which are already ported (e.g. Konsole and Kate).
          Ah, I see. I know about Project Neon, but this release sounded like a good LiveCD checkpoint, as opposed to weekly images.

Are there any plans for further tech preview/alpha releases, which would include both the libraries and their frontends, so it could be put on a LiveCD?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            No need for a live cd - there are repositorys for 4 Distros with binaries: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Binary_Packages
            At least for opensuse I verified that those packages are coinstallable with KDE SC 4 and Qt 4, see https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repo...E_Frameworks_5

I?ll just try them for fun in a few seconds ...
            kate and konsole are also there
            who needs more?
            Yea, I know that too, and I know I (or anyone else) can make a LiveCD of it through SUSE Studio, but it's nice to have a more or less official medium to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
              Yeah, I would be very interested in seeing a Live CD with maybe even Wayland on it, too. AFAIK, KDE should be working under Wayland at this point.
              ...I've been trying to get KDE Frameworks working on my Wayland Live CD for a while. Just recently I got Kate KF5 working as a native Wayland client.

but there arw still some X calls that need to be commented out or disabled with Cmake

I have to do some playing with kwindowsystem, to tryto make all the calls dummy calls...

Comment

Are there any plans for further tech preview/alpha releases, which would include both the libraries and their frontends, so it could be put on a LiveCD?
                As frameworks and frontends are no longer developed together I don't think that there will be any coordinated release. For the distributors who do images it doesn't really matter. I don't think that there will be images from KDE directly, we are in the business of producing source code not in delivering binary packages ;-) (although all but one distros would be very unhappy with any distro choice we do)

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                  I have to do some playing with kwindowsystem, to tryto make all the calls dummy calls...
                  If you want to work with it, please let me know. I will probably become the maintainer of KWindowSystem and have some plans for it to make it completely runtime selection.

Comment

Yea, I know that too, and I know I (or anyone else) can make a LiveCD of it through SUSE Studio, but it's nice to have a more or less official medium to check out.
                    I just tried it on suse and I tell you its fun
                    kwin and plasma crashed right on login (maybe due to my mesa 10.1 on radeonsi), but kate and konsole did autostart and work fine. I liked the responsiveness and the new compositing effects of the menus fading in and out - so smooth and fast

If only my fulll loaded kde4 would be the same! I also liked the light white colors instead of the kde4-grey. Overall a very nice experience.

But I warn you - I could not log back to kde4 before I deinstalled all the stuff again. I believe I have auto-re-login after x-crash activated and as there was no possibility to log out properly...

however - go on boys! good work!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                      I just tried it on suse and I tell you its fun
                      kwin and plasma crashed right on login (maybe due to my mesa 10.1 on radeonsi), but kate and konsole did autostart and work fine. I liked the responsiveness and the new compositing effects of the menus fading in and out - so smooth and fast

If only my fulll loaded kde4 would be the same! I also liked the light white colors instead of the kde4-grey. Overall a very nice experience.
                      oh that sounds very broken. There should be hardly any visual difference (Oxygen is pretty much unchanged) and KWin and Plasma shouldn't crash (I use both on my work system full-time).

Comment

Working...
                      X