No announcement yet.

MPlayer2 Gone Dark, MPV Is Still Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use smplayer with mplayer2 and set the forward/backward jump (right/left arrows) to 5 seconds. Is there a setting for this in mpv?

Since mplayer2 hasn't been updated for a while, has anyone noticed if mpv uses less CPU resources when playing back various audio/video formats and containers?

Thanks!

Comment

seems like mpv has lots of problems playing smooth dvb. I'll at least be sticking to mplayer2 for such streams

Comment

If any Gentoo users want to use my patched version of mplayer-1.2, I've started pushing my local ebuilds out onto github. I've been meaning to do this for ages! Expect many more ebuilds to appear as I sort out what I've been sitting on for far too long...

Contribute to sjnewbury/gentoo-playground development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

I tried again mpv not very long ago and it wasn?t possible to change the audio and subtitles language, making it useless to me. It really needs a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
            I'll stick with mplayer 1.2 with added vaapi support and realtime scheduling.
            I've also been satisfied with mplayer over the years and saw no real reason to change mplayer2. Every few months I'll use their SVN to update my boxes and that's worked out pretty well all along.

Comment

Originally posted by pigoz View Post
              This is untrue: while mpv introduced a LOT of Windows improvements this platform is officially supported on MPlayer and mplayer2 as well!
              MPlayer and Mplayer2 are extremely buggy on Windows, its unusable. mpv is maybe an option if they Support DXVA.
              Last edited by Nille; 01 January 2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                I tried again mpv not very long ago and it wasn?t possible to change the audio and subtitles language, making it useless to me. It really needs a GUI.
                Just click on the subtitle or audio track button? on the OSD?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                  it has a small built-in GUI if it's compiled with LUA support that has buttons to change the language/subtitles. Alternatively, there are key combinations to do it (I think ctrl+J/K for subtitles, but I'm probably wrong... I use the GUI )

If anybody wants to see the full list of changes from MPlayer and MPlayer2, go here: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/bl...en/changes.rst

Comment

mpv-build

mpv-build is a cool idea. I'm on Debian and can't seem to install the -dev versions of the ffmpeg library packages without forcing an uninstall of several other packages I want to keep. So until I learned about mpv-build I've been unable to configure and build mpv.

My thanks to the mpv developers for recognizing and providing a solution to this kind of problem!

Comment

VLC

I am not looking into starting any sort of flamewar. I couldn't care less. But I'm curious. I have switched to VLC a long time ago. It seems more robust, more complete, and it plays well with tv-maxe. All codecs are built in, etc.

But there muse be a reason why many people prefer MPlayer, any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X