• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pejakm
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    Qupzilla was promising, but it can't handle my bookmarks properly
    You can not have everything at once, you need to be patient for a while: https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/issues/458

Leave a comment:

• busukxuan
    replied
    Originally posted by Saverios View Post
    there are youtube videos which chromium refuses to play (I get the "An error has occured" message) unless I open another video (successfully) and then reload the original video.
    Yes that's flash's problem, as I said in the parenthesis in my last reply, but I haven't encountered it for months.
    Also, Chromium will not allow you to open a file using another application directly, you have to save the file first, then locate it and open it manually which is really inconvenient (other users have asked for this feature repeatedly but to no avail).
    After saving the file, you can just press the file's box on the download bar, and chrome will open your file with the default application you set. You don't really have to locate it manually. Also beside the box of the file there is a dropdown menu, in it there are "Open file" "Show in folder"(which opens the folder it's located with your default file explorer) and an option to automatically open any file of its MIME type as download completes (which is unrecommended due to security reasons). If you happen to close the download bar, then just press Ctrl+J to open the download page in a new tab. In the download page, clicking the file opens it, and there's also a "show in folder" button below each item.
    And, as with all browsers except opera, closing the last tab closes chromium as well, which I also find confusing (this can be fixed via an extension but it's hit or miss).
    This works in mobile Chrome, haven't tried Firefox yet, but you're right, the desktop versions need this too.
    To make a long story short, opera had features that other browsers can only have via extensions and add-on.
    Extensions are better in that each extension can have its very specific job and thus do things better, and they're modular too. However since they rely on third-party extensions, it might not be as good as browser-integrated features. IMHO it's a pro as well as a con so there's no saying if it's better or worse to use extensions. Do mind that Google does release official extensions though. They even released an input method extension.
    the speed dial page
    But it has the "Most visited" page, and your bookmarks also appear at the top of the page if your bookmark bar is hidden.
    Not to mention it looked nicer as well.
    I actually prefer Chromium's look lol, and I use dark themes. I'm waiting to take a look at Firefox's new Aurora interface

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    The Opera devs knew this would happen--that's why they created the new Chromium based Opera.

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied
    it would be *REALLY* cool if it could render the page into an opengl surface, just like the mobile browsers out there (opera mobile for desktop did it) or steam browser in big picture mode

Leave a comment:

• Emdek
    replied
    Cyber Killer, thanks. ;-)

I have "at least one commit per day" policy, it applies to all of my github projects but since I have to finally fully switch from Opera 12 then I can assure that rapid development will be continued.
    There is lots of work to achieve level of feature parity that will satisfy myself. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Saverios
    replied
    They are not major bugs, but they are annoying. For example, there are youtube videos which chromium refuses to play (I get the "An error has occured" message) unless I open another video (successfully) and then reload the original video. Also, Chromium will not allow you to open a file using another application directly, you have to save the file first, then locate it and open it manually which is really inconvenient (other users have asked for this feature repeatedly but to no avail). And, as with all browsers except opera, closing the last tab closes chromium as well, which I also find confusing (this can be fixed via an extension but it's hit or miss).

To make a long story short, opera had features that other browsers can only have via extensions and add-on. Examples include mouse gestures, the speed dial page, the direct opening of files with another application and others. Not to mention it looked nicer as well. I had the same theme for 2 or three years or so and I still miss it.

Leave a comment:

• busukxuan
    replied
    Originally posted by Saverios View Post
    but I had all sorts of issues and bug problems with chromium that I never had with Opera
    Can you tell me about the problems? I'm curious because the only bug I have encountered so far is font problems on Wikipedia, and exclusively on Wikipedia(except flash, some graphics problem but i guess that's not chromium's fault).

Leave a comment:

• Cyber Killer
    replied
    I really hope this project succeeds. After ditching Opera 12 cause it's just too incompatible and crashy, I can't find any browser that would satisfy me. I currently use Chromium but it's a pain, Firefox is unusable, Konqueror and rekonq have their own problems, Qupzilla was promising, but it can't handle my bookmarks properly, the list goes on. I wished for Opera to switch engines to webkit, but what they did is an abomination. Ever since I can't browse the net comfortably :-/.

@Emdek - grab the flattr for your project https://flattr.com/thing/2438041

Leave a comment:

• pejakm
    replied
    It sure does look interesting. So it is up to a time to show how it will continue to develop. In meantime, we have QupZilla as fine and mature Qt5 web browser.

Leave a comment:

• Saverios
    replied
    This is really good news. I only switched from Opera 12.16 to Chromium 2 weeks ago, simply because the easy of use and UI of Opera is still formidable. Of course, its age was starting to show in various ways (compatibility, speed, etc), but I had all sorts of issues and bug problems with chromium that I never had with Opera. I look forwarding to trying out Otter, I hope it will be a successful endeavor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X