Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Octave 3.8 Has A GUI, Uses OpenGL

Phoronix: GNU Octave 3.8 Has A GUI, Uses OpenGL

GNU Octave, the open-source high-level language for dealing with numerical computations and largely compatible with MATLAB, has a graphical user-interface with its new 3.8 release..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice to see it gets better. I'll eventually have to learn to use it.

Comment

Hmm I don't really care if it's has gui(Tried to use qtoctave, but it was useless). Biggest problem in octave was/is missing good matlab like plotting software.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        Hmm I don't really care if it's has gui(Tried to use qtoctave, but it was useless). Biggest problem in octave was/is missing good matlab like plotting software.
        Maybe I'm wrong, but the article says it uses GNUplot IF the GUI is not enabled, so I guessed it included plotting capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Maybe I'm wrong, but the article says it uses GNUplot IF the GUI is not enabled, so I guessed it included plotting capabilities.
          "Earlier versions of Octave provided plotting through the use of gnuplot. This capability is still available. But, a newer plotting capability is provided by access to OpenGL. Which plotting system is used is controlled by the graphics_toolkit function. (See Graphics Toolkits.)

The function call graphics_toolkit ("fltk") selects the FLTK/OpenGL system, and graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot") selects the gnuplot system. The two systems may be used selectively through the use of the graphics_toolkit property of the graphics handle for each figure. This is explained in Graphics Data Structures. Caution: The FLTK toolkit uses single precision variables internally which limits the maximum value that can be displayed to approximately 10^38. If your data contains larger values you must use the gnuplot toolkit which supports values up to 10^308."

source: http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/d...-Plotting.html

In 3.6, graphics_toolkit was by default "gnuplot". From the article of Michael and the link above I think it will be "fltk" in 3.8. But I don't know if the "unsupported cases" said by Michael could be i.e. the single valeu precision variables above, developers could explain better to us.

Well, congrats to the team! I really like Octave and in 2013 was the software I used more times. I don't need a gui, but I will try anyway, mainly if it can improve my productivity (tests needed)

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            I haven't seen what the new opengl plots look like, but matplotlib's graphs generally look much nicer than gnuplot's, IMO. It's used by scipy, which means you get a much nicer language (Python) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
              which means you get a much nicer language (Python) as well.
              Python is not a "much nicer language"

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
                Why ?

Comment

Hmm I'm a bit rusty with octave.

Hmm feels stable but I'm not sure but I think that plot is gnuplot, maybe I just messed up something while compiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
                    Well that is quite subjective... but as someone that stares at Hardware schematics, python, VHDL and matlab script all day... python is alot nicer than matlab script...

really isn't the nicest language to iterate over or manipulate data...
                    now chuck numpy for fast matrix manipulation and really there isn't any reason to use vanilla matlab... python+numpy+matplotlib >> matlab... Simulink is the reason matlab is still around and concidering there is a growing concern within the big engineering sectors about the high reliance on a closed proprietary system... alot of weight is getting behind openmodelica

Comment

Working...
                    X