Open-Source Blu-Ray Update Works On BD-Java Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Hi, I watch the couple bluray disks I have almost hassle free.
    I followed the archwiki steps (libbluray, libaacs, putting KEYDB.CFG into the right place), then when I insert a BD I mount it, and xbmc plays it back no trouble. With mplayer you have to specify the mount directory. It's all on the wiki. (never tried with vlc) ... To sum up : you do not need to crack it, but buying any new BD is a risk of losing the ability to watch the ones you already own without hunting for new keys... real fun Serafean.
    Those keys were revoked for the past year or so. People can no longer watch Blu-ray movies on Linux for the past year or so. Makemkv is the only, and last option for Linux users for watching Blu-ray movies. (I just don't like doing anything in Windows, and find life much easier within a Linux based operating system.)

Comment

I absolutely do not understand why anyone bothers to even buy these discs.

If it's that hard to use them LEGALLY... what's the point?

Comment

Kind of ironic since the first Blu-Ray player was basically an Intel PC with a Blu-Ray drive running Linux and almost all Blu-Ray players since 2008 are running embedded Linux.

Comment

Sounds ironic, but it makes sense. The reason why you can't just watch Blu-ray movies on Linux is due to the usual case of OSS and DRM not living well together. To play back Blu-ray movies, VLC would have to buy a key from the Blu-ray consortium, and then not disclose the key to anyone ? which kind of goes against the whole notion of an OSS video player. Even then, the consortium wouldn't give VLC the key until they implement the whole HDCP support (so it only plays the video if your graphics card, cable and monitor are all secure), making sure it can't be disabled (again, not possible in OSS). Meanwhile, the Linux-based Blu-ray players have custom proprietary software that was certified by the Blu-ray consortium.

Technically someone would be able to create a closed-source Linux application that implements all the DRM that the Blu-ray consortium requires, then buy a key from them, and then Linux users would be able to play Blu-ray movies. But nobody is interested, because users would view such software with suspicion, and they key costs quite a bit, I think.

Comment

I wouldn't even think of spending a cent on a video player to get bluray working. Really, why should I?
            The point is, I want a OSS solution. I totally don't care about broken DRM. I want to crack the discs, I want to store the movie on my HDDs. I want to play them everywhere on every of my devices if I bought ther movie/whatever on bluray. And of course I want nto make backups because it is my right to do so.

Heck, every person in the world knows that DRM is antisocial overcapitalistic and sometimes(mostly?) even abusing crap.
            But this is another story...
            So either there is a good way to ignore it - like DVD with decss - or probably 99% of the linux world will ignore it.

But as I see, the solutions are on the way. Sooner or later it will work as it works with DVD.

Thank you all for your answers.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
              Those keys were revoked for the past year or so. People can no longer watch Blu-ray movies on Linux for the past year or so. Makemkv is the only, and last option for Linux users for watching Blu-ray movies. (I just don't like doing anything in Windows, and find life much easier within a Linux based operating system.)
              Pardon if it's a stupid question, but what is Makemkv doing differently?
              Is it really working for all Blu-ray movies?
              Sorry, I have no experience with all that...

I just read there is makemkv-libaacs package in Arch's AUR.

According to http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7009 it transparently
              decodes Blu-rays movies using makemkv and works with libbluray-based players.

Comment

Just gave makemkv-libaacs a try.
                Installation from AUR was really simple in Arch.

Wow! What should I say, it works flawless so far.
                It takes some time to load - I guess makemkv is doing its magic there - but from then on it works great.

As I said, I only have a rather new Blu-ray disc "Cloud Atlas" and a brand new one "The Hobbit" to test.
                Both work great with mplayer and vlc.

makemkv-libaacs seems to be rather new.
                So before giving up, make sure to give it a try first.

Comment

So, so far I understand there is already a way to play bluray in vlc just like dvds?

I can now slowly consider to get an bluray reader for my desktopcomputer or an external one.

Sounds good.

Comment

From what I gather, in bluray, the DRM is embedded in the bluray disc players themselves - in the actual hardware.

This is Defective by Design on a whole new level.

So what we need is devices that can read blu-ray discs and bypass that whole DRM thingy. Or a way to modify existing bluray devices into such. So that we can just read the raw data on a blu-ray and rip it. Until that happens, bluray is pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      From what I gather, in bluray, the DRM is embedded in the bluray disc players themselves - in the actual hardware.

This is Defective by Design on a whole new level.

So what we need is devices that can read blu-ray discs and bypass that whole DRM thingy. Or a way to modify existing bluray devices into such. So that we can just read the raw data on a blu-ray and rip it. Until that happens, bluray is pointless.
                      Well, the disc readers must support certain DRM schemes (like the ability to read blacklists from the discs) to get certified and receive a key that can decode the content on the disc. That key is the key to the whole scheme. Everything else is just a bonus, but without having the player key, you can't decode the encrypted data on the disc. And as I mentioned before, that's just one key of several that you need to assemble before you can start decoding. So you can't have a Blu-ray reader that would not implement the DRM. As for hacking an existing one, it sounds more possible, but the certification probably involves making sure the firmware is tamper-proof in some fashion, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X