GIMP Still Has Many Lofty Features To Develop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    The level of entitlement here is simply amazing... so sorry that the people who work their asses off to produce a image editor FOR FREE aren't working fast enough for your specific needs...
    You misunderstood. They finish lots of features and then the features just lay there collecting the dust, waiting for another 'big release'. I used to use 2.7 branch of GIMP without any problems... for almost a year before 2.8 got released. I hope I'm clear this time.

Comment

Had Ubuntu implemented donations to their software center in 2011 when it was first discussed, we wouldn't have these issues. That's a great and visible place to put the donation button and status, but alas it's still not implemented.

Comment

Bribe.io Open source funding

A reminder:
        "Bribe.io announces itself as: 'A super easy way to bribe developers to fix bugs and add features in the software you're using.'

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          In other words, they want to have the features of Photoshop. And that sounds great, but the problem is people can't wait another 10 years when there is actually a finished product right now.
          Yeah they can't wait and they prefer to steal Photoshop. Interesting people.

Comment

I know on Paint.NET I will keep the history of every change and I can undo the changes.

Not sure if it meets your requirements exactly but you might want to check it out.

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows.

Downside it's windows only.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
              Where's non-destructive editing in all this?
              Post-3.0

Also, the GTK+3 port is mostly complete (barring bugfixes). Major blocker for GIMP 3.0 is 2.10...

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                I know on Paint.NET I will keep the history of every change and I can undo the changes.

Not sure if it meets your requirements exactly but you might want to check it out.

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows.

Downside it's windows only.
                Paint.net is a piece of crap with 1/10th (and I'm being generous here) the functionality of GIMP. No serious graphic designer or artist is ever going to use it for anything. It's basically a step up from mspaint. That's all I have to say about paint.net.

Undo history is not the same as non-destructiveness, GIMP has had undo history since way back. NDE refers to editing methods that preserves the original image data intact, for a simple example: layer styles in photoshop are a form of NDE, you can add a layer style which is basically just a filter, and it will not change the underlying image data - you can edit the layer, and the layer effect will be updated automatically to reflect the changes to the underlying image.

Krita has some very nice non-destructive editing features, there's dynamic effects which is a step above photoshop's layer styles: you can use any effect or filter as a "layer style", there are also clone layers (they duplicate another layer and reflect any changes made in the parent layer, but they can be moved around and adjustments/effects can be added to them that won't affect the parent layer).

GIMP will get NDE in time, in the meantime there are some plugins/scripts that sort of simulate the functionality but not quite. The layer effects plugin pack adds layer styles, sort of: they can be applied to layers, but they won't auto-update themselves in realtime like real layer styles, you have to manually update them every time you make changes to the base layer.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
                  Post-3.0

Also, the GTK+3 port is mostly complete (barring bugfixes). Major blocker for GIMP 3.0 is 2.10...
                  Thanks!

Any up-to-date roadmaps with at least a rough timeframe? I keep in touch with Inkscape dev. only.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
                    I didn't even know of that fundraising campaign until it was posted in this thread. And I've actually looked into the funding alternatives for open source. This is a serious problem, to many alternatives, no centralized way to check up on them...

We have, Flattr, catincan, indiegogo, and now http://funding.openinitiative.com
                    I'm not sure alternatives is a good idea here. Especially considering how few and/or obscure the projects are on the sites.
                    On OpenInitiative, there only seems to be 4 projects.. one with a french description, 2 that doesn't seem to be for software development.
                    catincan also seems to have way to much obscure stuff that kind of puts me off signing up for them.
                    I don't trust the sites enough to sign up everywhere and donate money. I want to stick to something known.

So, two problems as I see it;
                    1. People just don't know about these fundraisers.
                    2. There are to many obscure fundraising sites nowdays.

I kind of like flattr, but its hardly ideal for fundraising a specific feature.
                    You & others can check out freedomsponsors.org. I first heard about the site when one Gimp dev (Nicolas Robidoux) launched a fundraising there to fund new resize algorithms. You can donate money to a particular bug / feature of any open source project which should get implemented by anyone, be it a "freelancer" who goes after the bounty or a regular dev. Best of it, you can agree to give your money only if the feature gets merged into mainline, you can even specify a time frame until your pending donation is valid. Stats.
                    But I agree, those sites are unknown to most users

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                      Thanks!

Any up-to-date roadmaps with at least a rough timeframe? I keep in touch with Inkscape dev. only.
                      Afraid not. GIMP is a 99% volunteer driven project, and, as mentioned, severely undermanned. People spend their time on what they think is fun, roadmaps (which usually sets up expectations one cannot deliver on) is seldom one of them.

I only know two things:
                      1) It will be sooner the more people help. Preferrably by doing actual work, money does not solve much in a volunteer driven project
                      2) There will probably be some news at Libre Graphics Meeting in April. Come join us

Comment

Working...
                      X