4 words

Worst user interface ever !!!!

Wake up KDE and hire somebody

Plasma media center is same .....

99% of nice UI effects are Qt effects.
    That was more than 4 words.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Kind of a contradictory statement, considering KDE's UI is of the most customizable of all of them, and in the most user-friendly ways possible too. You can set up KDE to act just like any other DE, but you can't say the same about most of the others.
      Sorry, I should have mentioned I was only referring to the standard out-of-box desktop. I see no reason a user would not be able to tweak KDE to his or her liking, even mimicking other DEs. That certainly speaks good of KDE's technical accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        That was more than 4 words.
        Finger counting isn't his strong suite.
        ... Unlike DE design, that is.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
          Not exactly. I've attempted to change KDE to look more like Unity since that style fits my workflow best (and KDE has many benefits from its various frameworks) but the end result never feels quite as polished as the DEs that specifically focus on that workflow. This is obvious and expected, but unfortunately the flexibility of KDE means that it does everything fairly well but is also not exceptional in any of those areas. This is excluding the Windows-style default desktop, which is done perfectly. (unfortunately I hate that environment)
          The main problem is that, for Plasma 1, it was very hard to make or install new shells, so it was very hard to fundamentally change how the desktop worked. You could add widgets that changed parts, but making major changes to the basic workflow was hard. Plasma Workspaces 2 is meant to fix that, it should now be much easier to make new shells and install them. So we could see a much wider variety if there is sufficient demand for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            The main problem is that, for Plasma 1, it was very hard to make or install new shells, so it was very hard to fundamentally change how the desktop worked. You could add widgets that changed parts, but making major changes to the basic workflow was hard. Plasma Workspaces 2 is meant to fix that, it should now be much easier to make new shells and install them. So we could see a much wider variety if there is sufficient demand for it.
            That's very interesting thank you for sharing. I didn't know there was such a change planned for Plasma Workspaces 2, but I'm glad to hear it. I constantly go back and try OpenSUSE and really enjoy the stability, performance of qt, having a great file manager, nepomuk/strigi, and so on. I could probably go on for hours about all of the things I enjoy about working in KDE but if the desktop doesn't feel right none of the other things matter. The tech in KDE is really amazing and I can't wait to see what new interfaces people will build with it.

Comment

To be totally fair, my main issue is with icon-only task manager and after playing around with it and tweaking things more I'm really happy with the setup I achieved. Assuming I don't run into any issues with OpenSUSE 13.1 (seems great so far) I think I'll switch back to it from Ubuntu for now. It feels good to be back in KDE.

Comment

Working...
              X