NetworkManager Gets A New Text Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lysbleu View Post
    It can only be better than the gnome interface. I have a dream, that one day, I will be able to refresh the wifi networks as I want, by a button or by F5.
    Miss that in KDE as well, though double-clicking the disable wifi setting, thus restarting it, does trigger a rescan.

Comment

Yea, having that will be nice. I had to use nmcli to set up wireless on a Gentoo netbook I maintain, and while it wasn't that difficult (ways easier than using wpa_supplicant directly), it still involved reading some man pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
        Man, finally. Setting up systems without a classical DE and NetworkManager (my XBMC HTPC is an example) has always been a PITA, and the available command line tools didn't always work perfectly.
        systemctl disable NetworkManager.service

Then do what needs to be done with ip or iw (for wireless)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Yea, having that will be nice. I had to use nmcli to set up wireless on a Gentoo netbook I maintain, and while it wasn't that difficult (ways easier than using wpa_supplicant directly), it still involved reading some man pages.
          I found the wpa_supplicant method easier and more straightforward though, since everything can be collapsed into 1 long command like so:

Code:
          wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/<name of config file>.conf -dddd && dhclient -v wlan0
          Only caveat is that NetworkManager must be disabled, otherwise it will intefere and conflict with wpa_supplicamt's attempt to get the wireless device authenticated with the access point.

Comment

I'm happy with netctl at the moment. It has a dead simple wifi-menu utility wrapping wpa_supplicant, iw and dhclient/dhcpcd. It opens up a console dialog with a list of available networks, and prompts for a passphrase as necessary. It generates a network profile for /etc/netctl and provides a service to automatically connect to them while roaming without the need for any interaction.

I do install NetworkManager + the standard GTK+ applet when setting up an installation for someone else though... so nicer command-line tooling is appreciated .
            Last edited by strcat; 14 December 2013, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
              Seems to me every time I'd click on the network manager it would refresh the wifi connections. Could be wrong about that.
              Could be hardware/driver dependent. I seem to recall that the scanning behaviour varies quite a bit between different devices...

Comment

NetworkManager or Wicd?

I miss some functionalities in NM, like builin proxydriver-like functionality. Some wifi networks have awful manual proxies that need to be configured, and it's a pain in Linux because you need to disable them when you are on other network (obviously). Proxydriver theoretically solves this issue and has a way to configure the proxies per connection ID, but I wasn't able to configure it properly (lots of network problems) and I used a web browser extension (and I'm still training that computer user to not forget about that button at the top right, that needs to be changed... and it's a pain for a less computer skilled user)

Where's Freedesktop to solve this?

Comment

Working...
                X