Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 26 Is Shipping Today With Fun Features

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 26 Is Shipping Today With Fun Features

Mozilla Firefox 26.0 will be officially released today and with it comes a number of changes and enhancements while right now you can already download this new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

improved page load times by not decoding images that aren't visible.
    There are some major memory/cpu/responsiveness wins on image heavy pages.

Comment

h.264 support is done through Gstreamer 0.10. Gstreamer 1.0 patches are under review, but on hold while they fix a few regressions. Gstreamer 1.0 bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=806917
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

On the end-user side, the Linux version of Firefox 26 supports H.264 video codec support in conjunction with the appropriate GStreamer plug-ins.
        I'm pretty sure this is not the first version of firefox in linux with h.264 support.

Comment

Originally posted by funtastic View Post
          I'm pretty sure this is not the first version of firefox in linux with h.264 support.
          Yes, but you had to manually enable it in about:config with media.gstreamer.enabled before. It sounds like in 26 it will be enabled by default.

Comment

Warning huge compile time ahead!

Geez! That darn thing takes me more than 90 minutes to compile on my Gentoo laptop! (Core 2 Duo T9400, 2.53 GHz.) Only [Libre/Open]Office with more than 4 hours takes more time! I remember the good days it took less than half an hour just a few years ago on the same machine...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              h.264 support is done through Gstreamer 0.10. Gstreamer 1.0 patches are under review, but on hold while they fix a few regressions. Gstreamer 1.0 bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=806917
              Good stuff. Thanks, bro.

Comment

BTW anyone knows what will happen with native notifications??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  BTW anyone knows what will happen with native notifications??
                  Yes, there is an open bug in this regard.
                  It seems that libnotify doesn't support all of the features required by web notification, so libnotify support has been dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by funtastic View Post
                    Firefox has supported playing h.264 via gstreamer since version 14. In gentoo you just add gstreamer to the USE flags. Most distros seem to be dragging their heals on enabling this (maybe partly because of gstreamer 0.10->1.x transition)

Comment

Working...
                    X