Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using KWin To Power Other Non-KDE Linux Desktops

Phoronix: Using KWin To Power Other Non-KDE Linux Desktops

For those interested in ditching Compiz or other window managers in favor of KDE's KWin, it is actually possible to do so and use KWin on your favorite non-KDE desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LXDE-Qt?

Comment

I prefer compton which is a liteweight compiz replacement and provides a flickering and tear free experience that feels so smooth as using wayland but still on X

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
        LXDE-Qt?
        They shown interest in picking KWin5 up in the future, however nothing is set in stone. For now they still use OpenBox.

Comment

I smell a set of new distros brewing.

Comment

Excellent! In the future I will remove xorg-server, install Wayland and use it as a window manager. But for now, I'll stuck with X11 and my Fluxbox wm. Hope this come soon in Gentoo! :-)

Comment

That's funny because I just started using kde4 over kde3.5 with the new OpenSuSE 13.1 release. Besides how settings are handled and having to install stealth cashew, I'm really impressed with how smooth and stable everything runs on my ThinkPad with a i5/HD4000. I still miss my old 3.5 but it is really starting to show it's age.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                That's funny because I just started using kde4 over kde3.5 with the new OpenSuSE 13.1 release. Besides how settings are handled and having to install stealth cashew, I'm really impressed with how smooth and stable everything runs on my ThinkPad with a i5/HD4000. I still miss my old 3.5 but it is really starting to show it's age.
                Welcome to the 21st century! Kde 4 should be a way better experience on that harwadre that 3.5.

Comment

I want a broken, buggy POS to power my other desktop, okay, yeah... lol

Comment

KWin is the main reason which I'm not using KDE Plasma Workspaces anymore. In my case (GeForce GT 630 with nVidia proprietary driver0, KWin results in a lot of tearing in games, videos and in its effects, it has a poor performance and it is very buggy. So, as compositing window manager, it's a bad solution for me. I prefer to use Mutter in Plasma Workspackes rather than KWin.

And this is list of the packges to install together with KWin in openSUSE (excluding the recommended packages).

Code:
                    appmenu-qt cln kactivities4 kde4-filesystem kde4-kgreeter-plugins kdebase4-runtime kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE kdebase4-workspace 
                      kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE kdebase4-workspace-ksysguardd kdebase4-workspace-liboxygenstyle kdelibs4 kdelibs4-branding-openSUSE 
                      kdelibs4-core kdepimlibs4 kscreen ksplashx-branding-openSUSE kwin libakonadi4 libakonadiprotocolinternals1 libattica0_4 libdbusmenu-qt2 
                      libdmtx0 libepub0 libgps20 libkactivities6 libkde4 libkdecore4 libkdepimlibs4 libkscreen libkscreen1 libksuseinstall1 libphonon4 
                      libpolkit-qt-1-1 libpoppler-qt4-4 libprison0 libqalculate5 libqca2 libqimageblitz4 libqjson0 libqt4-qt3support libsoprano4 libssh4 
                      libstrigi0 libwayland-egl1 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-damage0 libxcb-image0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-sync0 
                      libxcb-xtest0 libzip2 nepomuk-core oxygen-icon-theme polkit-kde-agent-1 shared-desktop-ontologies soprano soprano-backend-redland 
                      susegreeter-branding-openSUSE

Comment

Working...
                    X