No announcement yet.

KDE's Kdenlive Video Editor Has Gone Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the programs that include their libraries inside, if someone does that, then the users have to download a new version of that program every time that the program has a security or bug problem... and ALSO every time that the library has a security update, a particular bugfix, etc. And that is taking for granted that the developer publishes a new version of that program every time that the library has a problem (and this is not so usual, so there are a lot of those programs which are used without the bugfixes and the security updates of the libraries).

Comment

' it seems new development efforts around the project have ceased...'

Their programs eventually have no support or they are just buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by kjslag View Post
        According to the posts below the patch submission matrix, it would appear he burned himself out, the poor bastard. I didn't even realise it was a solo operation. Guy deserves a gold medal.
        Hi

Comment

Right!

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
          Openshot's okay, but I think it's on par with iMovie 7 or 6 or whichever version had that similar "timeline" approach. Kdenlive on the other hand reminds me of Adobe Premiere Pro, which is much more powerful. I can't find anything else that's as feature rich as Kdenlive on Linux, LiVES isn't that good, Blender's a bit on the hard side, and every other editor I would find would break on me.
          I agree. I used to use Premiere but do to costs I went to Kdenlive. Needed something that was more "pro" than ones more suitable for home videos. I now subscribe to Lightworks and sometimes use Davinci Resolve's editing capabilities. But that pretty much forces me to use Window$. Resolve has a Linux version but for some reason don't offer it in Lite. Lightworks is in beta yet for Linux. I'll have to keep an eye on Openshot. I like to use scopes such as parade for touching up white balance without having to open Resolve. I have appreciated Kdenlive foremost and hope it continues.

Comment

Kdenlive development is back, current focus is Movit plugins on the GPU

Kdenlive development is back, hot and heavy. I've got last Fall's version 0.9.7 (pre-glsl) pinned on my system for most work, and the Meltytech portable builds for playing with the new Movit-enabled, effects on the GPU code. I am using the Radeon HD6750 with open driver, you can see the temperature rise in it a bit as Kdenlive puts it to work. You still need to use the released 0.9.6 version (or last summer/fall versions of 0.9.7) for actual video editing work as the development code now in 0.9.7 today can be crashy, and rendering is a lot slower right now.

In order to use the Movit plugins on the GPU, a glsl backend had to be written for Kdenlive. As of now that usually works, some glsl transitions work, the Movit plugins work well for the most part. The GLSL crop/position does not work yet, crashing the whole program. The two main problems are segfault crashes, and the fact that the GLSL backend is slow when dealing with CPU heavy stuff like composite transitions (not on glsl yet) and slower by half or more at render time. Since code has to be made to function and then debugged before worrying about making it fast, this is not a big deal yet. If this code develops anything like the way the Radeon open drivers have, Kddenlive would become one of the foremost GPU accelerated video editors.

Already a project with color correction on every clip will play as fast as it would in the old version, I suspect that clips loaded with heavy Movit effects would play much faster than clips loaded with heavy CPU effects ever did before-and that's BEFORE fixing the issues with general speed.

Current issues with playback speed on a clip with a any effects/compositing/transitions on the CPU and with rendering speed might be ultimately caused by the overhead of moving data from system RAM to GPU RAM, a known issue with many video editing programs. Performance in Shotcut is about the same, indicating that the issue is in MLT right now rather than specific to Kdenlive. As of last year, only Adobe's Mercury engine was said to be totally free of that problem, due to keeping everything in GPU all the way through.

It might be possible to duplicate Adobe's approach in Kdenlive/MLT by bringing back and using VDPAU support for those input files that can use it, combined with video encoding hardware acceleration code offered by the newest video cards. In that approach, the existing ffmpeg VDPAU support would decode the video and leave the result in GPU ram. Movit transitions and effects could then be applied while still in the GPU. It could then be played back directly, or encoded while still in the GPU to any format supported by the GPU encoding engine. The CPU would only have to fetch the final video file from GPU memory as it is made and copy it to a file. This would duplicate Adobe's peformance while leveraging already existing codebases.

AMD has open-sourced their video encoding engine for their newest cards, as seen here:
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia has blob support for video encoding on their newer hardware, and Intel has open-source support for their own. . Biggest issue would be that some AVCHD files will hang up at least some r600 cards randomly in VDPAU, so that would also have to be debugged upstream or a later GCN card used.

The Movit developers claim the Nvidia GTS 660 can apply effects in realtime to 4K video directly, so long as the application can play it back in realtime (which I doubt Kdenlive could do yet in the GLSL backend). They tested Nvidia, my Radeon tests show no performance loss for adding any Movit effect that won't crash kdenlive to 1080p AVCHD files.

Potentially all this could lead to a situation where dropping a current Radeon into an old Core 2 Duo office box would yield a video editing machine capable of handling 1080p video with realtime playback and faster rendering than my current 8 core Bulldozer rig.

Comment

Yeah I've been keeping a bit of an eye developments here. Very interesting work.
              Hi

Comment

I love kdenlive and have been using it for years. i got very concerned when the development went dark and no one picked it up. i am very happy to see there is active development on it. i am curious about when melt is going to get multi-core previewing. i have a very capable machine (i5-4670k @ 4Ghz & GTX 760) and I can't even playback a file I captured with shadowplay within windows 7 (encoding was 1080p@60FPS at 25,000Kbps bitrate) because melt only uses 1 core for playback/previewing. Also curious if kdenlive will ever use the GPU for playback or encoding?

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuaddicted View Post
                  I love kdenlive and have been using it for years. i got very concerned when the development went dark and no one picked it up. i am very happy to see there is active development on it. i am curious about when melt is going to get multi-core previewing. i have a very capable machine (i5-4670k @ 4Ghz & GTX 760) and I can't even playback a file I captured with shadowplay within windows 7 (encoding was 1080p@60FPS at 25,000Kbps bitrate) because melt only uses 1 core for playback/previewing. Also curious if kdenlive will ever use the GPU for playback or encoding?

and

http://sourceforge.net/p/kdenlive/ma...denlive-devel/ for the dev-mail list.
                  Hi

Comment

Meanwhile, in the 179th issue of the magazine "Linux Format UK", from January 2014, Kdenlive was chosen as the best video editor.

Comment

Working...
                    X