Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep using it

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
    Shit poop bugger bum! I was enjoying using this piece of software. I was migrating over to KDE-orientated apps gradually over the last two years as they improved and this one was just creamy-goodness!
    Nobody said you have to uninstall it just because it is not being mantained. If updates break it, roll them back and pin the offending packages. Put a whole system that you KNOW works with kdenlive on another partition, save that OS snapshot as it will always work.

Comment

I was merely mewling over the sudden lack of support for a great app. No way I'm uninstalling it

Although, I seriously need to review my package 'rollback' and 'pinning' practices, so thanks for reminding me.
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        This is what is wrong with Linux. Why the fuck do I have to snapshot my OS? Why can't a program from 1993 work just fine on my 2013 Linux distro? The reason Windows dominates everything......
        lol you just said software from 1993 still works perfectly on Windows 8.1. Have you actually tried that with some "advanced" software? I do agree though that some software should just "contain" the libraries it uses.

Comment

This is what is wrong with Linux. Why the fuck do I have to snapshot my OS? Why can't a program from 1993 work just fine on my 2013 Linux distro? The reason Windows dominates everything......
          For sure, go ahead and try to run the first Fallout game on Windows XP or newer without patching it, then come back and tell us again how Windows is backwards compatible. Oh, you can't? Well, there goes your dream.

Comment

What you are talking about has nothing to do with Linux per se. What it is actually about is the application being open source and relying on open source libraries which it expects to be already installed on your system. The same thing can happen in Windows when an application relies on external dll files (which is why old games that rely on old versions of DirectX often don't work without trouble). Usually this only happens with Microsoft supplied dll files, and sometimes you can find and install old ones since they have different names (which also happens in Linux), or you can put old ones in the application directory (which can also be done in Linux). The biggest difference in Windows is that a lot of applications are statically linked or at least contain their own dependencies because they don't share code between projects. They develop their own libraries. At low levels there is actually more "reinvention of the wheel" in Windows than in Linux.

That is why a large percentage of old proprietary applications for Linux work just fine. They contain their own dependencies just like a large percentage of proprietary applications in Windows.

In actuality, Linux is more compatible with old software than Windows is. As long as you make all the correct dependencies for a program available, you really can run an application from 1993 in Linux. It's a lot more likely to work than it is in Windows. An open source program is just less likely to include its own dependencies than a closed source one. Of course the transition from 32 to 64 bit adds another wrinkle, but that can be overcome as well.
            Last edited by CFWhitman; 25 November 2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Incidentally, you are likely to have just as much luck running a DOS or Windows 3.11 program from 1993 in Linux using tools such as DOSbox, Wine, and QEMU (and possibly an old Windows 3.11 or 95 operating system) as in a modern Windows.

Comment

Well this sucks. I always use Kdenlive for my video work. I have tried the various alternatives out there and I have always ended up going back. The package in Ubuntu is always unstable/broken for some reason.

Comment

I keep OS snapshots anyway as backups

I use alpha versions of Ubuntu as the base of a rolling OS, thus shit breaks from time to time. Also shit happens with both hard drives and SSD's. When it does, I grab the last snapshot, copy it back in, and redo
                  known good updates from my stockpile of dowloaded packages. I've got OS snapshots times to releases all the way back to Hardy as tarballs.

That being so, if KDE updates, etc ever break Kdenlive for good I can simply rename my last snapshot and put its contents on a partition.

Furtunately, KDE4 is going into a "maintainance mode" as the focus shifts to mobile-focussed QT5 stuff, so if KDE4 doesn't get big underlying changes, Kdenlive may also stay compatable with future upgrades to other OS components. So long as the needed KDE4 components can be either installed alongside KDE5 (or whatever) or else in a kdenlive portable directory, Kdenlive should work.

Some years ago KDE updates broke Kdenlive rather badly in Ubuntu alpha, had to pin all of KDE until that worked out.

Kdenlive is available from someone out there as a nightly build tarball that extracts to a portable install that works at least from Precise all the way to current Trusty, I'll sure as hell be keeping that around too!

Comment

He posted on September 16:
                    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bugs-dis...3003805561&w=2

Comment

JBM is alive

So it looks like JBM is alive :-), thanks DeiF, for your information.

Comment

Working...
                      X