Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snappy: A GStreamer & Clutter Powered Movie Player

Phoronix: Snappy: A GStreamer & Clutter Powered Movie Player

Snappy is an open-source movie player that has become part of the GNOME project and is powered by GStreamer and features a user-interface written in Clutter. The project has been around for a while but releases are rare, except for a new update this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why they always replace the Default Application? Totem is since 2.10 (2005) in Gnome and now they replace it again before Totem is "done".

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Why they always replace the Default Application? Totem is since 2.10 (2005) in Gnome and now they replace it again before Totem is "done".
      The interface looks nice and clean but FFS we don't need another player. We have a ton of them.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        The interface looks nice and clean but FFS we don't need another player. We have a ton of them.

And the worst thing is that we have again a new Name. This kills the Brand awareness again ....

Comment

And the worst thing is that we have again a new Name. This kills the Brand awareness again ....
          There are very little projects that actually have a brand worth maintaining. IMO at least.

Comment

I don't think this is a replacement for totem as Gnome's default video player... there's nothing to that effect in the blog post, and I've never heard it mentioned on the Gnome dev lists. I think this is just someone's pet project, that happens to be hosted under gnome.org...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              I don't think this is a replacement for totem as Gnome's default video player... there's nothing to that effect in the blog post, and I've never heard it mentioned on the Gnome dev lists. I think this is just someone's pet project, that happens to be hosted under gnome.org...
              Yeah, but Gnome doesn't have an Extragear culture as KDE does. Probably because Gnome used to be a GNU project (on paper it still is) and wasn't originally intended to be an umbrella project. So when people assume such things, I understand why they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Yeah, but Gnome doesn't have an Extragear culture as KDE does. Probably because Gnome used to be a GNU project (on paper it still is) and wasn't originally intended to be an umbrella project. So when people assume such things, I understand why they do.
                Not really. GNOME had GNOME Extras before which serves a similar project and the organization has changed in 3.0 to core, core apps and apps. Snappy isn't part of the regular release set and doesn't replace Totem (or its newer incarnation called Videos). It is just an extra app that follows the typical conventions within the desktop environment.

Comment

This looks really cool, I want to try it out. Buuuut I kind of. Broke something by adding a unstable clutter ppa. Oops.

Comment

Working...
                  X