Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowd-Funding Is Back For Another Mesa Extension

Phoronix: Crowd-Funding Is Back For Another Mesa Extension

After running a successful crowd-funding campaign, Timothy Arceri delivered on his word of implementing KHR_debug support for Mesa. The OpenGL 4.3 extension that came as a result of crowd-funding was successfully merged in Mesa and can be found with the forthcoming 10.0 release. Now the developer is back looking to implement more GL 4.3 functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not raise funds for COMPLETE OpenGL 4.4?

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post
      It might be easier to do it in lots of little steps. Then there is no need to worry that someone might receive a years worth of salary and disappear. Or miss-estimate how much work it is and run out before everything is ready.

Comment

Sure. Do you have a rock solid way to calculate how many developers you need to pay for how long to reach exactly that milestone? Then we can just go right ahead!

Comment

It is an iterative process.
          Before we can reach 4.4 compliance, we must first reach 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 compliance.

Comment

It might be easier to do it in lots of little steps. Then there is no need to worry that someone might receive a years worth of salary and disappear. Or miss-estimate how much work it is and run out before everything is ready.
            I highly doubt known Mesa developpers would risk their reputation.

Sure. Do you have a rock solid way to calculate how many developers you need to pay for how long to reach exactly that milestone? Then we can just go right ahead!
            Estimation is a complete task and you must know what's left to do it. I'd leave that to Mesa developpers.

It is an iterative process.
            Before we can reach 4.4 compliance, we must first reach 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 compliance.
            For compliance yes, but there's nothing stopping you implementing new 4.4 API while 4.1 are still missing. But I agree, as a whole 4.4 is dependant on previous version API.

Comment

I'd rather he worked on OGL 4.0 compliance first, but then I guess all those tasks are either a bit too hard or already claimed.

Hmm, maybe I should contribute something, now that the first fundraiser succeeded.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I'd rather he worked on OGL 4.0 compliance first, but then I guess all those tasks are either a bit too hard or already claimed.

Hmm, maybe I should contribute something, now that the first fundraiser succeeded.
                Yeah, I guess all the easy GL 4.0 stuff is already done. What's left is either haaaard (tesselation, GLSL 4.0), or already being worked on by someone else.

Comment

Just imagine this extension will be complete.
                  What extension from OGL 4.3 is missing yet?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
                    Just imagine this extension will be complete.
                    What extension from OGL 4.3 is missing yet?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X