X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Firefox 25 Now Shipping With Minor Enhancements

One month after the release of Firefox 24
    It is six weeks. And it has been six weeks since Firefox 6 (2011)

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I wish they implemented global Flash click-to-play, instead of having to enable it by site...
    They have. It will come with Firefox 26. It is the reason why I had to install flashblock. It is just stupid to have flash automatically start. Makes me think they have forgotten that it is a tabbed browser.

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Don't want to start a flame war, but is this really how Firefox will look like (a Chrome clone)?
    Do you have an argument why you think it is bad?

Originally posted by forgiver View Post
    My only problem with this is that by not resetting the session on restarting Firefox, it'll make the job of Helpdesks that much harder.
    How? If the user can't close tabs even tech support can't help.

Comment

Don't want to start a flame war, but is this really how Firefox will look like (a Chrome clone)?
      To be fair, that's just making all Mozilla applications look consistent (Thunderbird already looks like that, and it's not even a web browser). Now why they chose Chrome looks for Thunderbird is another matter...

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
      They have. It will come with Firefox 26. It is the reason why I had to install flashblock. It is just stupid to have flash automatically start. Makes me think they have forgotten that it is a tabbed browser.
      That's good to know. I know it was planned, but I didn't know it was going to be implemented that soon.

Comment

Do you have an argument why you think it is bad?
        Personally, I've tried Chrome sometime last year, but went back to Firefox because I am used to it. I was actually surprised myself that it made such a difference. Now with FF copying Chrome I'll have to adapt anyway. But then there is no real reason to go with FF (can just use Chrome if I want something like Chrome).

Comment

Personally, I've tried Chrome sometime last year, but went back to Firefox because I am used to it. I was actually surprised myself that it made such a difference. Now with FF copying Chrome I'll have to adapt anyway. But then there is no real reason to go with FF (can just use Chrome if I want something like Chrome).
          Have you used it yet? It is not just a new theme. It is a new interface that hasn't really changed since Firefox 4. Maybe sometime in the future Chrome will grow up and get the features Firefox has but until then they just have cheap knockoffs.

Comment

Have you used it yet? It is not just a new theme. It is a new interface that hasn't really changed since Firefox 4. Maybe sometime in the future Chrome will grow up and get the features Firefox has but until then they just have cheap knockoffs.
            Sorry, can't parse. What are you talking about?

Comment

*sigh*
              Why is "chrome clone" the only thing that people ever think of?

First off, the only things that looks even remotely like Chrome are:
              1. the tabs
              2. the menu button

And to that I say:
              1. The tabs on Australis are proper curves, nice and smooth and even just glancing at it I get a "warmer" feel from them than from Chrome's sharp angles. Also noteworthy is the fact that non-active tabs blend into the background, which when you're using it looks really nice as well. There are a few other things but meh.
              2. Some people have complained about there now being a "single button menu", to which I say "What firefox are you using again?" cuz Firefox has had a single button menu for a while. And this one is special: The new menu is COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZABLE. "Items" as I shall call them (Normal Firefox buttons, Add-on buttons, etc) can be placed on the normal bars (e.g. next to the URL bar, etc) or inside the menu. The menu can be arranged any which way you want and can have as many or as few things as you want. It takes customization to a whole new level.

Unfortunately, in the process they are removing the add-on bar. I don't care because I don't use it, but in the end I think it was a good decision. There are plenty of add-ons that seem to give you an icon on the add-on bar just to be there... and this will force them to stop. Also a few other reasons.

And like I mentioned before, Australis probably has a much cleaner set of XUL than the current interface, maybe leading to performance improvements but definitely cutting down on glitches :P

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                *sigh*
                Why is "chrome clone" the only thing that people ever think of?

First off, the only things that looks even remotely like Chrome are:
                1. the tabs
                2. the menu button

And to that I say: ...
                Hey, I am just expressing my personal opinion. This thing looks like Chrome to me, and Chrome UI didn't work for me, period.

I am okay with people preferring the new interface. If they found that the old UI didn't work, fine with me too.

I am the one who is going to have to adapt or look for alternatives.

Comment

Hey, I am just expressing my personal opinion. This thing looks like Chrome to me, and Chrome UI didn't work for me, period.

I am okay with people preferring the new interface. If they found that the old UI didn't work, fine with me too.

I am the one who is going to have to adapt or look for alternatives.
                  Sorry. Kinda venting my frustration a bit because people just go "the tabs aren't 90's looking squares anymore? IT'S A CHROME CLONE!!" and "The button was moved off the tab bar? CHROME CLONE!!" without fail. I just wish some of them would actually LOOK at the interface.
                  Last edited by Daktyl198; 29 October 2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

On my desktop, I recently switched back to firefox for the first time since version 4. I have to say, I'm impressed by how far its come since.

Also, I honestly can't believe it took them this long to not keep search bar text between tabs, or at least have an option for this - if there was an option, I wasn't aware. That was one thing I always found irritating about firefox (Opera always had unique search fields between tabs).

Now all I need firefox to do is paste+enter when middle-clicking in the URL or search bar (opera also did this - it was a nice shortcut).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      On my desktop, I recently switched back to firefox for the first time since version 4. I have to say, I'm impressed by how far its come since.

Also, I honestly can't believe it took them this long to not keep search bar text between tabs, or at least have an option for this - if there was an option, I wasn't aware. That was one thing I always found irritating about firefox (Opera always had unique search fields between tabs).

Now all I need firefox to do is paste+enter when middle-clicking in the URL or search bar (opera also did this - it was a nice shortcut).
                      If you can suffer two clicks instead of one, Firefox does have a "paste and go" option, which is what you want in the right-click menu on the URL bar.
                      Also, like most browsers, it support drag-and-drop loading of URLS.

Comment

Working...
                      X