X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
    My point. SWT is not swing, and afaik is just a wrapper around gtk on linux.
    True, however, SWT might use gdkX11 and make explicit X11-calls. Unless they are removed, it won't work on wayland.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    IMO no because Eclipse is a Java app and Java must support Wayland too
    Actually, no. "Java" doesn't need to support Wayland, because while Eclipse is written in Java, it doesn't use the standard Java APIs for GUI apps. All that's needed is for SWT (the API used by Eclipse) to work on Wayland, and obviously, porting that API to Gtk+3 is a bit step.

That said, people talk hopefully about Gtk3 ports, asking "does that mean it will run on Wayland?". And the answer to that is "probably not". Sure, if you're got perfect code that uses only Gtk and never references X11 libraries, then yes, it'll run on Wayland without further modification. But "perfect code" is produced only by perfect coders, a mythical species not encountered in the real world. As such, porting to Gtk3 will get you closer to Wayland support (because staying with Gtk2 will never get there), but it's only a first step.

Leave a comment:

• n3wu53r
    replied
    We're talking about Java (SWT/Eclipse) being able to display/run on Wayland, not whether a GUI-less java app can run on a computer with Wayland.
    My point. SWT is not swing, and afaik is just a wrapper around gtk on linux.

Leave a comment:

• rxonda
    replied
    We're talking about Java (SWT/Eclipse) being able to display/run on Wayland, not whether a GUI-less java app can run on a computer with Wayland.
    Well, We can include swing at the discussion too. Im concerned when we'll be able to run IntelliJ (I think it uses Swing) on Wayland.
    Is Java Swing use GTK to render GUI components, or relys on a low level graphic server API to render?

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    That you would think the only part of java needing "wayland support" was java swing, and if you didn't use it you would be fine? Java already runs without a display system period, so surely just having toolkit support is all that you want?

Leave a comment:

• n3wu53r
    replied
    What are you trying to say? I didn't even mention swing.
    That you would think the only part of java needing "wayland support" was java swing, and if you didn't use it you would be fine? Java already runs without a display system period, so surely just having toolkit support is all that you want?

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Really? You would think the only thing in java that needs a supported display system was SWING?
    What are you trying to say? I didn't even mention swing.

Leave a comment:

• n3wu53r
    replied
    Java being able to run without any display server and being able to run on a given server are different things.
    Java runs on X11 because it has explicit support for it, not because Java is platform independent. And to support Wayland it also has to get support for it.. Java runs on specific APIs, not on magic.
    Really? You would think the only thing in java that needs a supported display system was SWING?

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
    You know, that Java even runs on systems without any display server at all, don't you? I'm not an expert on SWT (alway preferred Swing and now JavaFX 2) but afaik it's just a wrapper to native windowing tools/libs/etc., so (at least in theory) that should work just fine.
    Java being able to run without any display server and being able to run on a given server are different things.
    Java runs on X11 because it has explicit support for it, not because Java is platform independent. And to support Wayland it also has to get support for it.. Java runs on specific APIs, not on magic.

Leave a comment:

• rxonda
    replied
    IMO no because Eclipse is a Java app and Java must support Wayland too, but it makes future Eclipse support for Wayland a lot easier.

Regardless it still good news.
    Well, Im not sure, but I think you're half write.
    Indeed if java supports Wayland, theoretically every java app will run on wayland too. But, Eclipse lies down on SWT toolkit and this toolkit uses native code to run GUI components.
    If SWT does not provide a GTK3 (or Qt 5.2) version, I think it will not be possible to run on wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X