Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    I'll just leave this here (looks beautiful on Vista btw.).
    Note that I'm a Qt user myself.
    Learning Vala and how to use it - no thanks, I'd better waste my time learning useful stuff, not another C++ replacement wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Go ahead. Qt looks much better than gtk.

I normally don't get involved in these things but I've noticed that Qt nearly always looks off. It's not the widgets, I don't think, but perhaps the way Qt handles padding.
      I'm really not sure whats the issue but I can't recall having used a Qt app that I liked the look of.

Regarding Gtk I think they should drop all pretense of x-platform support and aim for the more realistic goal being the "best"toolkit for Linux only.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
        I have never programmed using Qt before and after reading this article I got motivated enough and wanted to see how it compares to gtk. Turns out I never got as far as writing any code at all. I could not even get started! All they seems to care about is advertising Qt Creator all over the documentation and tutorial pages. What is wrong with a few lines of "hello world" code and a simple gcc command to compile it like they have for gtk.
        You obviously didn't look very hard:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/gettingstartedqt.html
        To be fair, this is for Qt 4.8. On the other hand, there are no tutorials at all for gtk3.

And there is this for QML:
        http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/qtq...-tutorial.html

And this is a bit more advanced, but also doesn't use Qt Creator.
        http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/qtw...dressbook.html

In fact the only major tutorial that uses Qt Creator is this one:
        http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/qtd...startedqt.html

And it does explain how to build and run the application at the very end.
        Last edited by TheBlackCat; 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          That's the only logical course of action.

I don't like the look of GTK, so I do my image editing in a hex editor instead of GIMP.
          What... you don't like imagemagick?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Go ahead. Qt looks much better than gtk.
            Your brain must be plugged in backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              What... you don't like imagemagick?
              Too bloated for my liking. who needs all these effects?

Your brain must be plugged in backwards.
              Actually, since both GTK and Qt are fully themeable, this whole discussion is stupid

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Actually, since both GTK and Qt are fully themeable, this whole discussion is stupid
                They are, and yet no one bothers to use doesnt-look-likeass themes. So, as a developer you can discuss those mythical themes for all I care, but don't blame end-users for saying Qt looks ridiculously 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  They are, and yet no one bothers to use doesnt-look-likeass themes. So, as a developer you can discuss those mythical themes for all I care, but don't blame end-users for saying Qt looks ridiculously 90's.
                  you sure you're not thinking about GTK apps running under Qt? Qt default theme looks nothing like the 90s

compare:

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Learning Vala and how to use it - no thanks, I'd better waste my time learning useful stuff, not another C++ replacement wannabe.
                    You either a) don't know what Vala is or b) suffer from dyslexia. The link I provided has a compiled Win32 bundle in it,
                    the fact that Vala is bundled with it is moot. The comment I replied to said "gtk3 hasn't been ported to Windows",
                    which I just disproved.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
                      I have never programmed using Qt before and after reading this article I got motivated enough and wanted to see how it compares to gtk. Turns out I never got as far as writing any code at all. I could not even get started! All they seems to care about is advertising Qt Creator all over the documentation and tutorial pages. What is wrong with a few lines of "hello world" code and a simple gcc command to compile it like they have for gtk. To me Qt now feels extremely bloated, not simple at all and especially not particularly great. The only thing lacking with gtk is proper cross platform support.
                      On the other hand, if you'd be able to get over the "eek, qt creator!" reflex, you'd be able to install it on your favourite distro, start it, click on the examples tab of the startup page, type "hello" in the search field and get your basic hello world example loaded up and ready to inspect, tweak and run.

How much more simple could life be? But to make it even simpler, here's the example:

Code:
                      #include <QApplication>
                      #include <QPushButton>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
                      {
                          QApplication app(argc, argv);
                          QPushButton hello("Hello world!");
                          hello.resize(100, 30);
                          hello.show();
                          return app.exec();
                      }

Comment