• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is xMonkey...

Comment

FUD?

What is this FUD here?

Both Firefox and Chrome are great web browsers.
      I use both, and both are very good browsers!

Comment

I use IE6 and it comes with great free smileys!!!!11
        Also it loads gugle faster than evar with the booster 2000 ultimate toolbar!!!1

srsly guis, what is this heresy?!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Maybe there's another quote about this somewhere, but the one quote here in these forums said nothing at all about performance or hardware acceleration in cocoa. He said that they want to provide a native look and feel on macs - which is a very common complaint about cross-platform apps there. Linux and Windows users are much more used to having applications that don't quite integrate as well into the native system, and you see such complaints much less often. It makes perfect sense that they'd consider using the native controls important on macs but not other platforms, and that has nothing to do with performance. It's all about the UX, as the quote itself said.
          The Cocoa API's do actually provide a lot of hardware acceleration though, much moreso than GTK or win32. So the fact that they get a lot of hardware acceleration for free on cocoa is still true. Adding that to the fact that using cocoa makes them a native very well integrated app makes it a win-win, hence why they aren't considering aura on osx.
          Last edited by bwat47; 31 October 2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
            The 'entire' Chrome interface? You mean the tabs? Chrome barely has any UI, everything is rendered inside the 'view' (or whatever you call it), and that seems to be hardware accelerated already. This probably benefits the developers more than the users. I doubt you'll see a notable difference, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
            No, I mean _everything_. What I forgot to mention was that Aura takes over the reigns from GTK 2 and literally draws everything itself. Aura becomes it's own toolkit and draws everything except the Window borders, which are handled by the Window Manager (though, Chrome manages to draw it's own titlebar & window buttons :P).

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
            And what is Servo going to do that Gecko doesn't? Once Firefox gets a generational garbage collector it will be just as fast as Chrome.
            Servo is going to have multi-threading by default due to Rust, so much faster render times and everything. It also has a much more maintainable (smaller + better structured) code base so developers can jump in and add/improve features faster to keep up with specs. Those are just two things out of many. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of Docs on Servo yet, and any attempts to build it has been thwarted by the reliance on Autoconf 2.13 (I run Arch, so that's a problem) so I can't tell you all of the improvements... but I know there are many.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Servo is going to have multi-threading by default due to Rust, so much faster render times and everything. It also has a much more maintainable (smaller + better structured) code base so developers can jump in and add/improve features faster to keep up with specs. Those are just two things out of many. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of Docs on Servo yet, and any attempts to build it has been thwarted by the reliance on Autoconf 2.13 (I run Arch, so that's a problem) so I can't tell you all of the improvements... but I know there are many.
              I think that Firefox with Gecko will be fast before Servo will even be in test versions. It seems to me Servo is really long term planning as in 5 to 10 years.

Comment

Working...
              X