Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trillian Chat Client Coming To Linux, Currently In Beta

Phoronix: Trillian Chat Client Coming To Linux, Currently In Beta

For those not satisfied with the open-source Pidgin or Empathy multi-protocol chat programs on Linux, Cerulean Studios is finally bringing Trillian to Linux. A beta was announced today of Trillian for Linux but right now it's limited...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL who in hell would buy such a software, especially on Linux ? I'm curious XD

Comment

Yeah, and ...?

Why should the Linux community be excited about Trillian any more than we were excited about Nero?

Comment

Trillian on windows is an excelent chat software.
        If the plug-ins are coming to linux then i am happy.
        Its the only way i have to use skype, gtalk and facebook chat in a very lightweight and costumizable software for free..

Yes, i don't understand why pay for it.
        Since it will be free on final version.

I see the payment method for the beta some sort of contribution for the full native support and integration to ubuntu.
        I guess most ubuntu users should consider at least pay a 20$ subscription in the first year.
        Its one of the most things i miss from windows, a good IM, pidgin and empathy is not up to this.
        Last edited by ObscureAngelPT; 08 October 2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
          Its the only way i have to use skype, gtalk and facebook chat in a very lightweight and costumizable software for free..

Yes, i don't understand why pay for it.
          Since it will be free on final version.

I see the payment method for the beta some sort of contribution for the full native support and integration to ubuntu.
          I guess most ubuntu users should consider at least pay a 20$ subscription in the first year.
          Its one of the most things i miss from windows, a good IM, pidgin and empathy is not up to this.
          Hmm. That's funny. I don't know how lightweight it is, but I have both Empathy and Pidgin doing gtalk and facebook chat. Never tried Skype. Is Skype a deal breaker for you?

Comment

Yep, i have a lot of people there.
            Especially when skype came to replace MSN.

I know that empathy and pidgin are lightweigh, but skype it isn't, and on windows even less.
            Its not just the fact of being multi protocol, its the sync, history, and a massive lot of features and costumizations that its available to choose from.

Unfortunaly the free version have some ads, but they are not massive ads, not animated flashs or something, they are very subtle.

I know that linux people will be like, we don't need this, be when its free give it a try and feel the difference

Comment

Whatever happened to Ventrilo coming to Linux?

In their forums, they created a section for Linux back on May 30, 2005.

Did the Ventilo creator die or something?

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
                Its the only way i have to use skype, gtalk and facebook chat in a very lightweight and costumizable software for free.
                I have reason to suspect that Skype support won't last very long though. From an email I received from the Skype developers when I emailed them about Skype API issues (messages from Skype often not being sent to IM clients accessing Skype via the API), I was told that they intend to drop support for Skype API access and SkypeKit (which is, if I recall, what Trillian uses for Skype connectivity). Unless MS plans to open up access to Skype's servers and services to other IM clients in the future, I suspect this means the only way to use Skype at all will be with the official client.

EDIT: One of the Trillian devs replied to a comment on the blog post linked to in the article that there is no Skype support in the beta version currently. Whether they get Skype connectivity at all in the final release remains to be seen, but I wouldn't count on it, for reasons I've already mentioned above.
                Last edited by karashata; 08 October 2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I guess this is why they are trying to descentralize the things.
                  Not sure if it is going to be good ideia..

Join us as we explore ways that businesses and other organizations can improve communication, collaboration and teamwork.

Comment

Are people still using desktop chat software?

I thought everybody was using WhatsApp these days

Comment

Working...
                    X