Mozilla Pushes "Shumway" Flash Into Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
    NO! Say it ain't so! A javascript implementation of flash did not work without javascript.

So in the end you came to say that it doesn't work for your pc yet.
    If you read the rest of the quote, you would see that I was referring to pdf.js, in response to a comment about pdf.js.

But my expectation is that Shumway would be miserably slow here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
      Well when they came out with their Javascript PDF reader it mostly worked, but not as well as standalone readers already available, and there was no reason whatsoever to use it. And Mozilla themselves would post messages saying, "this document may not have rendered correctly (even when it did), you should probably use a different PDF reader!" No kidding guys, so why have you changed my settings to use this one? I expect Shumway to be similar. At least there is a decent reason to create it, given the problems with Flash and Adobe's dropping support.

By the way, is the Firefox PDF reader good yet? Is there any reason at all to use it?
      It works fine for my needs, but I don't deal with PDF's much. I'd wager it does the job just fine for many users that only need a basic reader. Only problem I've seen is it can be sluggish with large pdf's.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
        I hope the "Shumway" is much faster than Adobe's plugin. Sure, Adobe's linux plugin works, but if you take the occasion to play a flash game or stream HD content online, the Adobe plugin really shows its weaknesses.
        Shumway is written in JavaScript, so I doubt. It's probably much slower.

Comment

Doesn't work with www.gametrailers.com

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
            Shumway is written in JavaScript, so I doubt. It's probably much slower.
            Can't you shove javascript through LLVM IR to get basically C++ performance out of it? I know you can do the reverse (C++ ---> LLVM ---> JS) but I could've sworn I saw a project to take the JS and make it into C++
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Can't you shove javascript through LLVM IR to get basically C++ performance out of it? I know you can do the reverse (C++ ---> LLVM ---> JS) but I could've sworn I saw a project to take the JS and make it into C++
              Maybe, but Firefox doesn't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                Maybe, but Firefox doesn't do that.
                They developed and use http://asmjs.org/ in all such applications. It is significantly faster than regular JS

Comment

I found their .pdf reader to be very usable. Doubt there's more than 1% of cases it completely messes up. Can't see shumway being defaulted anytime soon though..

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    They developed and use http://asmjs.org/ in all such applications. It is significantly faster than regular JS
                    Thats what I was thinking of, thanks Rahul. I knew they had something that was closer-to-metal than normal JS
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                      I found their .pdf reader to be very usable. Doubt there's more than 1% of cases it completely messes up.
                      Have you tried copying and pasting text from it?

Comment

Working...
                      X