GNOME 3.10 Has Been Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    And Debian will keep 3.4 in their stable version. If you don't understand that you don't understand Debian.
    I'm using unstable, not stable. And gnome-shell 3.8 is only available in experimental http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.8-status.html

The reason is, maintainers have been having issues with various library transitions for months - ATM with evolution-data-server: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...oth.debian.org

Comment

I really dislike the new integrated system status because it increased the number of clicks required for almost all operations - worst is connecting to a WiFi network which now requires 5 clicks all over the screen (up from 2 in a corner). Bluetooth is puzzlingly only displayed when a device is connected, so you have to take the long path through settings to change visibility, add a new device, or even send files (!!). Empathy status cannot be changed from gnome-shell anymore, but Empathy still runs in the background when you close it. And so on..

They also removed the option to have (generic) icons in menus and on buttons. How is that a usability improvement?!?!

Photos, Documents, and (to some extent) Music still display their respective files as massive jumbles.

Maps is nice, but, again, the devs made some really weird "usability" choices. After you search for something, the map pans to the selected POI. The closer the POI is to your current view, the longer it takes - a one-block pan takes 11 seconds and is uninterruptible. To top it all of, the map zooms out a few levels when it's done panning .

Header bars are nice, but you now need 2 clicks to minimize the window. The new annimations and general polish are nice too.
      Last edited by Xipeos; 26 September 2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
        I'm using unstable, not stable.
        So why do you complain about the version in stable?

Comment

He complained about the version in sid.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            So why do you complain about the version in stable?

stable: 3.4.2-7
            testing: 3.4.2-15
            unstable: 3.4.2-16

Comment

stable: 3.4.2-7
              testing: 3.4.2-15
              unstable: 3.4.2-16
              http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gnome-shell.html
              Experimental: 3.8.2. As a Unstable user you should have no problems with using that.
              You yourself acknowledged that their are problems with library transitions. That is the reason why it hasn't moved from Experimental to Unstable. So go forward, help them with their work instead of whining on a forum. Or did you really think complaining on Phoronix changes a tiny bit?

Comment

@Vim_User: I'm done with your idiotic posts, troll. Go bother someone else.

Comment

I'm using unstable, not stable. And gnome-shell 3.8 is only available in experimental http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.8-status.html

The reason is, maintainers have been having issues with various library transitions for months - ATM with evolution-data-server: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...oth.debian.org
                  I've been running GNOME 3.8 Debian Sid/Experimental for months, while filing bug reports wherever it crashes on my systems.

The Perl transition has been one hold up of late.

The PNG is another hold up.

I agree that the Debian GNOME 3.x transition has been less than stellar. I look forward to using 3.10 from Experimental and hope the backend support for various parts of Telepathy and more get updated.

It's been duct tape for nearly a year.

Comment

Gnome 3.10 is one of the best ones to date for the 3+s it works well on AMD cards for Once...

Comment

It appears to be no longer possible to roll up a nautilus window thanks to the new titlebar thing.

In case anyone wants to restore icons for menu items and buttons, for gtk2 programs only of course, that can be done with gsettings (or through dconf-editor):
                      Code:
                      gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides "{ 'Gtk/MenuImages': < 1 >, 'Gtk/ButtonImages': < 1 > }"

Comment

Working...
                      X