Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt5-Based KDE KWin Enters Usable State

Phoronix: Qt5-Based KDE KWin Enters Usable State

The next-generation KDE KWin window manager for KDE Frameworks 5 and using the Qt 5.x tool-kit is quickly entering a usable state and can now handle "dogfeeding" by its developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm pretty excited for it but I'd rather wait until it's officially released. I'm creating a python program with qt and I'm getting segfault issues with qt5 using some pretty straight-forward code. So if a 20-line python script fails to run, I'm not going to trust an entire DE to run reliably.

Comment

Care to post your code ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        Care to post your code ?
        I'm not home to look at it now, but it's easy to reproduce yourself. If you open up the Qt designer, create a window with a dock widget, save it, and then run pyuic5. The script it creates will segfault, even though the code looks fine. It works fine using pyuic4.

I'm using Arch linux 64 bit. I've found that there's no python 3 version of pyuic5, which isn't too helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm not home to look at it now, but it's easy to reproduce yourself. If you open up the Qt designer, create a window with a dock widget, save it, and then run pyuic5. The script it creates will segfault, even though the code looks fine. It works fine using pyuic4.

I'm using Arch linux 64 bit. I've found that there's no python 3 version of pyuic5, which isn't too helpful.
          It's probably the python language bindings that are buggy. I imagine that's one of the trickier, and last things, to get done.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            It's probably the python language bindings that are buggy. I imagine that's one of the trickier, and last things, to get done.
            As far as I'm aware, none of the Qt devs are developing pyqt. I'm pretty sure it's a separate unrelated project. But, I'm keeping an open eye out for updates. It really shouldn't take very long for them to clean up the problems, and I can still develop in qt4 in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              As far as I'm aware, none of the Qt devs are developing pyqt. I'm pretty sure it's a separate unrelated project. But, I'm keeping an open eye out for updates. It really shouldn't take very long for them to clean up the problems, and I can still develop in qt4 in the meantime.
              PyQt is maintained by a company called Riverbank Computing; however, the Qt-Project maintains PySide (which is mostly source compatible if you change the imports to point to PySide instead of PyQt). The reason for PyQt's existense is that Nokia loved the idea of Python bindings for their toolkit but hated the fact that PyQt was only available as either with a GPL or properitery license (if you paid for it) so they created PySide under the LGPL. Unfortuantly, only PyQt seems to support Qt5.

Comment

Working...
              X