KDE Devises New Release Plan, Frameworks 5 Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I just say: FINALLY!

It's about time someone thought to decouple the apps from the DE/Distribution. I've never understood why sticking with a stable distribution meant that I had to use old apps. I always have to add extra repositories if I want the latest stable versions of whatever apps I'm running.

Hopefully, now we'll be able to set up a home machine with a rock solid KDE Desktop, without having to use older versions of Amarok or Calligra.

Comment

Anyway, it's been said forever that wayland support would only come after the Qt5 port. So expect a preview next fall, with a more release-worthy version around spring 2015. That would put them on about the same schedule as Canonical with Mir.
      Everybody here remembers that KDE already runs on Wayland, just not "well", right? The basic support for Wayland is already there.

The full support comes with the release of Framework 5 sometime in (currently) early 2014. At that time, KDE should work 100% on Wayland.

This has been stated multiple times, people.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post

It's about time someone thought to decouple the apps from the DE/Distribution. I've never understood why sticking with a stable distribution meant that I had to use old apps. I always have to add extra repositories if I want the latest stable versions of whatever apps I'm running.

Hopefully, now we'll be able to set up a home machine with a rock solid KDE Desktop, without having to use older versions of Amarok or Calligra.
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like they were just decoupling the releases of the applications from the release of the framework. i.e. not releasing new versions of every application with the release of Framework 5.

Comment

They should rewrite everything from scratch to get rid of the bloat

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            They should rewrite everything from scratch to get rid of the bloat
            That's pretty much what Framework 5 is doing (getting rid of bloat). Over half of the work is simply splitting apart giant libraries and removing as much unneeded code as possible (Along with porting as much in-house code over to it's Qt5 equivalent, again to cut down on in-house code among many other reasons :P)

What they NEED to do is change that god-awful look. The entire DE aside from the bar itself looks like crap by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              So the full wayland support is not even scheduled yet! Nothing for 2013 or 2014. Wow, KDE really IS dying.
              You must be joking, right?

It'll take at least 18 months for Device Drivers, both FOSS and Proprietary, to properly work out quite a bit of the kinks for Wayland, not to mention Wayland itself has a similar time line to be worth switching to over Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post

Is this what you're asking for?

Comment

So the full wayland support is not even scheduled yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    18 months without Gnome, 6 months with Gnome. You seem to forget that Gnome's influence covers the whole stack, not just from the tool kit and up. Unlike KDE, Gnome is a real bet on the Linux desktop and not an advertise campaign for a commercial multi platform toolkit.

KDE has a huge identity problem. Look at the freak show called Plasma Active, it was sponsored by Nokia in the days when Qt was thought to be a mobile framework only. Like a non-desktop KDErev2. Now Digia reversed this, but the "declarative scripting is king" still lives and have spilled into places where it should never have been going. And KDE's naming is suffering. App 4.12+Plasma2+Framework5=future5. What a boatload of failure.
                    To be a even greater internet warrior and king troll you should use google a little bit more. But you are pretty good already now!!!

Comment

@Honton: Why bashing declarative scripting? It's nothing more than javascript (OK, probably little more, but well...).Now look at what Gnome Shell is about: javascript everywhere. Even for applications gnome devs decided to make javascript the preferred language.

Comment

Working...
                      X