Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collabora Begins Supporting LibreOffice

Phoronix: Collabora Begins Supporting LibreOffice

SUSE's LibreOffice team is joining Collabora and forming the Collabora Productivity group where they will be offering commercial support for the open-source office suite and expanding their focus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They really need to focus on improving stability and M$ word compatibility. Yesterday I tried to load a .docx file and the whole computer freezed for several seconds, I couldn't believe it. Oh, my computer has a 6 core CPU with 8 GB of RAM, I don't know what would happen to a lower end computer...

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      They really need to focus on improving stability and M$ word compatibility. Yesterday I tried to load a .docx file and the whole computer freezed for several seconds, I couldn't believe it. Oh, my computer has a 6 core CPU with 8 GB of RAM, I don't know what would happen to a lower end computer...
      Probably I/O bound if I had to guess. Takes time loading word documents into RAM after all, then rendering them to the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Some people kept forgetting the issue was intentionally created by Microsoft to slow the competition with its 6,000 pages of documentations containing obscure codes that can be only used with Windows system.
        Ironically, the issue you described also affected OSX Mountain Lion with Microsoft own Word 2011 running on a 2011 iMac equipped with Intel i5 quad-cores and 4GB RAM using the same .docx format.
        Plus, Microsoft Office 2013 apparently supports Open Document Format which should be used instead,

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          Some people kept forgetting the issue was intentionally created by Microsoft to slow the competition with its 6,000 pages of documentations containing obscure codes that can be only used with Windows system.
          Ironically, the issue you described also affected OSX Mountain Lion with Microsoft own Word 2011 running on a 2011 iMac equipped with Intel i5 quad-cores and 4GB RAM using the same .docx format.
          Plus, Microsoft Office 2013 apparently supports Open Document Format which should be used instead,
          Saving as ODT is supported in Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 and above. However, support is limited to a strict implementation of features described in the last published OASIS specification as relates to that version - i.e. Office 2010 only supports what was in the ODT specification prior to 2010, and so on. This means many features can't be used in MSOffice when saving as ODT, since the ODT spec isn't complete (and OOo/LO use pre-standards features to ODT)

Comment

Working...
          X