Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Tests: Unity 7.1, KDE 4.11, Xfce 4.10, GNOME 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Tests: Unity 7.1, KDE 4.11, Xfce 4.10, GNOME 3.8

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Tests: Unity 7.1, KDE 4.11, Xfce 4.10, GNOME 3.8

To end off August we have benchmarks up of five popular desktop environments running on Ubuntu 13.10 as of Friday. With feature freeze passing, we now have a good look at the desktop competition for Ubuntu 13.10 and how each of the desktops perform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unity, on the other hand, isn't. It's a generally well performing desktop environment now.

Thanks for the benchmarks!

Comment

Why did you use XRender mode as opposed to raster for the Qt tests? Raster has been considered the standard for a while now.

Comment

The culptrit of the kde slowness is the widget set.
        Use oxygen/oxygen-gtk under unity or xfce and you'll get the same slowness.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          Unity, on the other hand, isn't. It's a generally well performing desktop environment now.
          Surprisingly...

I'm curious how these desktops compare on older pc's. This is especially interesting since windows xp support is soon coming to a end.

Comment

...XRender?

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
              Surprisingly...

I'm curious how these desktops compare on older pc's. This is especially interesting since windows xp support is soon coming to a end.
              I am guessing LXDE and XFCE are the only usable desktops on older PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                I am guessing LXDE and XFCE are the only usable desktops on older PCs.
                Unity is not usable on any pc simply because of its horrible design. It's like going Windows8

Comment

I'm a bit surprised how shit KDE is since that was the DE i was thinking to try next. I guess i will wait for framework5 and see if their new generation of qt magic is up to par with the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by ACiD View Post
                    Unity is not usable on any pc simply because of its horrible design. It's like going Windows8
                    Agreed. The only thing that keeps me coming back to unity is dash. I can find my stuff much quicker with it. I used to use gnome-do but I find dash works better for me. Although I never use any lenses just the plain search.

Comment

Working...
                    X