No announcement yet.

GNOME Web To Abandon Google Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is total non-news, since this is only about the default selected search engine for a web browser that quite literally does not and will NEVER have even ONE SINGLE USER.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      This is total non-news, since this is only about the default selected search engine for a web browser that quite literally does not and will NEVER have even ONE SINGLE USER.
      I don't see how you could make that claim at all. Several distributions install it by default including Debian and I use it from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
        Flamebait: something that is hardly used switches to use something else that is hardly used.

*puts on asbestos pants
        May I point out that you are a nerd commenting on fucking phoronix? To a first approximation no-one cares about any of this shit, nor me, nor you.

We aren't exactly playing at Carnegie hall here.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          There is still a difference: With Google doing all user tracking in-house (from Analytics, to DoubleClick, to Web Search, to YouTube) the NSA gets finely distilled user data.
          Sure, DDG can't do magic (just like any other non-US search engine can't) and prevent and prevent NSA?s protocoling of the raw data stream through carriers (although DDG uses SSL by default) but at least they are not helping them by serving them readily cooked data from sources all over the web.
          Sure but given that Google Analytics and those other technologies are literally everywhere on the web, how much does that really protecting yourself by not using their search engine? Without using a tool like noscript to prevent those scripts from running, all you're doing is cutting out the search terms you used to reach the site.

Comment

Working...
          X