Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    GTK and Clutter are Gnome libs, so?
    Meh, not really... can't see how the GIMP toolkit would count as a GNOME lib

It'd be pointless to fork GTK or Clutter in any case, as many 3rd party software depends on them, and there isn't really anything terribly wrong with either of them - so it'd be kind of pointelss duplication of code. Cinnamon so far has been built on top of GNOME 3, with a forked shell (GNOME shell -> Cinnamon) and a forked window manager (Mutter -> Muffin), now the underlying GNOME parts will be purged and instead a new backend will be built for Cinnamon 2.0 which will (IIRC) not be a fork of GNOME, but entirely original code.

Comment

• Quick, someone tell Linus!

It really makes his day when desktop environments screw around with the mouse buttons for no reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Meh, not really... can't see how the GIMP toolkit would count as a GNOME lib
        GTK's development home is Gnome.org, not Gimp.org: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+ (similar for Clutter: https://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter)
        That's a fact and no matter of debate and if you ?can't see? that, that's your problem.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        It'd be pointless to fork GTK or Clutter in any case, as many 3rd party software depends on them, and there isn't really anything terribly wrong with either of them
        There is plenty wrong with GTK as project leaders of LXDE, OpenShot, etc. can testify. That's why they migrated to Qt.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Cinnamon so far has been built on top of GNOME 3, with a forked shell (GNOME shell -> Cinnamon) and a forked window manager (Mutter -> Muffin), now the underlying GNOME parts will be purged and instead a new backend will be built for Cinnamon 2.0 which will (IIRC) not be a fork of GNOME, but entirely original code.
        Cinnamon is built on libmutter which is basically a WM building toolbox based on Clutter. Elementary?s Pantheon does the same.
        If the Cinnamon maintainers feel that using Clutter directly gives them more creative freedom, so be it, but they are just porting from one Gnome lib to another and not away from Gnome.

The only ports away from Gnome technology are related to configuration and session management: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/0...-for-cinnamon/
        Nowhere could I find that eg. Cinnamon 2.0 won't use Gnome Wallet to store passwords etc. and even if Cinnamon2 did that: GTK and Clutter are still Gnome libraries?

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Why should anything change? Gnome's level of freedom and number of contributor s is higher than any alternative.
          Because IF Fedora starts carrying a significant diff to upstream the rh gnome devs are gonna start feeling even more pressure from within.

Comment

• Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
            I have seen gnome-is-dead posts but not "Gnom is dead, KDE rulezzz, futur is kde !!!1!1!!" kind of posts.
            To be fair, you're not seeing those from Gnome people, either. You're seeing them from noisy trolls, who may or may not actually be Gnome users...

Comment

• Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              To be fair, you're not seeing those from Gnome people, either. You're seeing them from noisy trolls, who may or may not actually be Gnome users...
              I'm pretty sure Honton uses gnome, he had a screenshot
              I'd be surprised if funkSTAR wasn't a gnome user.

But I know these trolls aren't at all representation of gnome users in general.

Comment

And they can only relicense to permissive non-free license.
                Such a thing does not exist. I guess you mean permissive OSS licenses.

Comment

Im not here to do all that work. I did it for a sample and proved the trending. If you think the data is flawed or too narrow, I suggest you prove me wrong. Show me a monthly average that does not support what Ohloh and my trending agrees on, or keep quite and deal with the facts.
                  Well if you are not here to "do all of the work" then don't make the claim - simple.

Comment

Well you were provided with facts. If you can't accept the multisourced facts it is your problem. KDE is dropping like a rock no matter what.
                    What multi-sourced facts are you talking about? However, I see you have revered to making more unsubstantiated comments, surprise surprise.

Comment

Ohloh sources and Digest sources. For the digest sources I provided you with a 10% sample size and mitigated sesonal auto correlation effects by chosing same-month data.
                      Right, so you have us the old chestnut that is the Ohloh stats, which correct me if I'm wrong also show a decrease in GNOME contributions and of course that graph chrisb found that showed a plummet in Debian contributions to near zero; somehow I don't think we are getting the full story there.

Likewise, cherry picking data to try to prove your point goes to show that you really don't have a point to make. You should try harder next time.

Comment

Working...
                      X