GNOME Playing Around With New Middle-Click Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Sure everything will be juuuust fine witk KDE, waiting for the nex Pie In The Sky Thank you for saying it loud and clear, KDE4 will go nowhere and haven't for the last few releases.
    It's almost like your illiterate.
    KDE devs are not so stupid as to make massive changes to KDE4 at the end of its life cycle. Why would they do that
    It's mature software. Using your logic gnome was dead during the entire gnome2 era, was brought back to life with 3.0 and is dead again today since each release isn't full of sweeping changes on every component.

Comment

You already got the Ohloh numbers. Showing KDE is DOOMED

I just went ahead at took a look on the monthly average for five digests near July month of 2013, 2012 and 2011. Based on KDE commit digests.

2011: 230 contributors, 2490 commits
      2012: 192 contributors, 2230 commits
      2013: 164 contributors, 1960 commits

Sorry but like Ohloh and the commit digest agrees. KDE is DYING Now deal with the facts, and don't shoot the messenger.
      Your insane. KDE4 is mature and pretty much done. Of course commits are going down. Look at mesa commits. They have been dropping constantly since 2010. So mesa is dead? Quite the opposite. It's called maturity.

Comment

I agree that commits doesn't matter much and code maturity matters. You would of course already know this if you read my posts carefully. Too bad you are reverting to strawman tactics now. Look at the number of contributors. The developers are leaving KDE because KDE is dying.
        First if you look at Ohloh's code locations for KDE, you see their entire infrastructure is there. Not just KDE desktop, but other applications that use KDE's hosting infrastructure. Like Kria, Calligra, JuK, DigiKam. Many of those aren't really directly kde affiliated, but use KDE libs and infrastructure. Many old projects people have created there are left abandoned. Like Qyoto
        and the unnofficial oxygen fonts. The fonts repo doesn't get much commits lately and is counted as a drop, but is unnofficial and not done by KDE but a third party, just using their infrastructure. You can see what ohloh counts here. http://www.ohloh.net/p/kde/enlistments

Now here is were Ohloh numbers get REALLY shady every since KDE's move to git, both of us could be wrong: https://plus.google.com/107555540696...ts/J2X6zuThHGW

Oh. Another one stated KDE needed KF5 to do away with long standing bugs. Make up your mind guys.
        KDE is a huge project with lots of code. It's older then gnome so has a older code base. Yeah some would call KDE bloated and a bit buggy sometimes, and some of it's true and they have been improving this every release. Here's the thing though. New developers come to a project, and old ones go. Not everyone in the 1990s working on KDE has stayed, and many have moved on. Same with gnome and any other project. The same people don't stay around forever. New faces come, old ones go. New people are not be familiar with code written by old devs years and years:ago (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor ). Over time code bitrots, many lower levels peices are hard to understand and read, and it becomes convulted. Many bugs are so old because they are so hard to trace down and fix because of the ancient codebase. Eventually you have to refactor and rewrite components. Gnome did this with gnome 3 so they don't have to worry about it so much right now. But Gnome 2 suffered from this in it's later years, and KDE4 is doing so too.

Comment

Smart guy. "of course one has to remove features. It hinders innovation, it makes maintenance more difficult, it adds code complexity. In this case we had a more prominent feature with better usability for a few years, so we removed the displaced older feature." He does the same as Gnome devs. But I guess the difference is no Gnome users shows up at Phoronix to flame KDE for stating this. It only happens to Gnome, and it happens just as Gnome adds a switch to Gnome-tweak-tool.

I admit, many of the gnome hate is unfounded, but KDE users don't go into gnome posts and call gnome dead . I'm actually typing this from my gnome 3 laptop, I use KDE on 2 other machines, but gnome 3.8 (from obs repo since distro came with 3.6) with opensuse 12.3 on this laptop. But sometimes gnome devs are real jerks, like when it comes to 3rd party themeing and breaking them every release.

Also what's up with the picture, is that a mockup or a real screenshot? I assume those are wayland CSD in top right?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Cinnamon is in the process of diverging from GNOME entirely: version 2.0 of Cinnamon will no longer use any GNOME libs, instead they will develop their entirely own backend (which will still use GTK+3 and Clutter, AFAIK).
            GTK and Clutter are Gnome libs, so?

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
              I admit, many of the gnome hate is unfounded, but KDE users don't go into gnome posts and call gnome dead
              Have you lived under a rock the past two years? There's been *a lot* of people calling GNOME dead. Not saying all of them are using KDE though.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                Have you lived under a rock the past two years? There's been *a lot* of people calling GNOME dead. Not saying all of them are using KDE though.
                I have seen gnome-is-dead posts but not "Gnom is dead, KDE rulezzz, futur is kde !!!1!1!!" kind of posts.

Comment

You are right I based my findings on data from KDE itself and Ohloh, KDE users just cherrypick blog posts and determine Gnome is dying.
                  Might want to read my ohloh post.

3.8 might need a newer X than the one served in OS12.3. You should upgrade.
                  I have noticed no issues. If newer X is needed maybe the repo is giving it to me. I'm using this: http://dominique.leuenberger.net/blo...2-3-go-get-it/
                  Suse 12.3 is the newest release. I tried Fedora 19 but there was problems with bumblebee not working correctly (it's a known bug, might be fixed soon) and fedora booting with my screen brightness almost pitch black and I have to manually increase on each boot. Fedora only allowed me to use Max brightness or Min. No in between. On suse, I'm stuck at Max (but it's not pitch black like fedora), and I cannot change via gnome power, or via x by using the command line. I can only change the brightness in suse by editing kernel variables in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight

I just had a look at Gnomes standard themes to get a grip about how much they needed to change for 3.10. Not much and not jerkish.
                  I acutally read a google+ post from a gtk theme maker saying that many of his 3.8 don't really break on teh 3.9 devel branch. So that's good.

It is gnome-tweak-tool 3.9.xx like an hour ago. I just made a pic of what all this fuzz is about. Don't make anything of the theming or headerbar, it is not Gnome default, and the pic is cropped. No wayland on this one.
                  So you are running header bar on X. Is there an additional close button drawn by the window manager or is there only header bar?

Comment

You already got the Ohloh numbers. Showing KDE is DOOMED

I just went ahead at took a look on the monthly average for five digests near July month of 2013, 2012 and 2011. Based on KDE commit digests.

2011: 230 contributors, 2490 commits
                    2012: 192 contributors, 2230 commits
                    2013: 164 contributors, 1960 commits

Sorry but like Ohloh and the commit digest agrees. KDE is DYING Now deal with the facts, and don't shoot the messenger.
                    Yet again you have proved nothing, you have simply cherry picked some stats from 3 years. Anyway, a year on year total on the commits would be far more representative and accurate.

I can deal with the facts, even when the "messenger" rips up the true message and creates their own based on their delusional ramblings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      Haha. Sorry but you got it wrong. Totally wrong. Sure it is difficult to understand legal agreement and it orthogonal to freedom and tranperency. I have read the agreement, and it says nothing like that. It says KDE can rerelease the free editon for the X-based Qt if Digia fails to make a release on a yearly basis.
                      And the end result is the same, Digia's business model is trashed and there's permissive licensed Qt libraries out in the public sphere.
                      So, I'm not wrong, unless you can prove a way Digia could recover from losing their Qt monopoly.

Let me help you .. again. FSF wants copyright because they want to make the strongest possible case in court against any infringement. Relicensing to later versions are covered by the "or later" clause of the GPL. (Gnome does that to a large extent, Linux does not)
                      And they also use it to bump up the GPL version every so often, beyond the scope of 'or any later version' because they actually change the license to the next version up i.e. v3
                      FSF has done this many times, and thanks for dragging Linux in even though it wasn't being discussed.

Comment

Working...
                      X