GNOME Playing Around With New Middle-Click Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    You can actually paste using the middle button?! I never knew that, seriously.

Seriously, what's the big deal about people toying around with new ideas? If you don't like new ideas then just go back and use older versions. Otherwise, any feature they change/introduce will have its share of haters.
    I never knew that middle-click function either until recently. It seems in this forum double standard applies to GNOME when it comes to removal of some extra functionality which can be easily restored through add-on. It is better to ignore those posts because they ended up a fool when proven wrong.

Comment

Best use for middle button would IMO be quick switching of windows. Hold middle button to bring up alt-tab menu, scroll to select window, release to go to window. Clicking once could still be used for pasting or whatever that way. Fast workflow for when you don't have a hand on the keyboard, or when you want to have the keyboard free for typing text and don't want to constantly jump your fingers to alt+tab and back.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        It worse than that. Highlight some text, don't copy it, just go somewhere and middle click. This is very powerful tool, but way to easy to get burnt by if you don't know how it works. Default should be off.
        The same is true for the Terminal, maybe they should remove that also or default it to off, so that you have to use the tweak tool to enable the terminal.
        But for real, you screw something up because of an accidental mouse-click? So what? Has Gnome also removed the Undo function?

Comment

Does GNOME support GLX_EXT_buffer_age yet?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Does GNOME support GLX_EXT_buffer_age yet?
            I'm sure it will eventually if it doesn't already because it is important for wayland and gnome has been moving quickly with the wayland porting.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              I'm sure it will eventually if it doesn't already because it is important for wayland and gnome has been moving quickly with the wayland porting.
              I don't think Wayland uses GLX_ anything.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I don't think Wayland uses GLX_ anything.
                I meant buffer_age in general, I think its already implemented in EGL.

And buffer_age is also probably important for DRI3000 in X so they will probably have support for the glx extension eventually too. But for GLX we are probably still waiting on it to be supported in mesa, I don't think it is yet...(afaik its only implemented in mesa for EGL atm).

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  MATE is not "dying legacy", they're in the process of porting their entire codebase to GTK+3.
                  What's the point in that? Their codebase is essentially Gnome 2, which the Gnome developers already ported to GTK+3. What's the value in doing it again, instead of just using the Gnome3 libraries?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    You can actually paste using the middle button?! I never knew that, seriously.

Seriously, what's the big deal about people toying around with new ideas? If you don't like new ideas then just go back and use older versions. Otherwise, any feature they change/introduce will have its share of haters.
                    There's nothing wrong with toying with new ideas. But there's something *very* wrong with changing the default behaviour of something people have been relying on for twenty years... and doing it with no announcement, just a check-in comment. The change has since been reverted, but it should never have been made without wider discussion...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                      There's nothing wrong with toying with new ideas. But there's something *very* wrong with changing the default behaviour of something people have been relying on for twenty years... and doing it with no announcement, just a check-in comment.
                      This is Gnome. Of course they won't ask users if they want this, because Change is Good! and Features Are Confusing!

Comment

Working...
                      X