Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Playing Around With New Middle-Click Action

Phoronix: GNOME Playing Around With New Middle-Click Action

While traditionally the middle-click mouse button has been a convenient way to paste rather than Ctrl + V on Unix-like systems, GNOME designers are looking to change it up for their desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WTF do I need to open a context menu with the middle click button when I already have a context menu on the right button?

Comment

I don't get the rationale behind that change, the wiki just shows some mobile OS images. Why would anyone want to disable middle click paste for desktop? GTK is getting worse and worse...

Comment

The worst thing about this change is that the GNOME developers seem once again generally antipathetic to choice. There will be no (graphical) option, if you are very lucky you can change it back with a terminal line.
        In my understanding, this is just wrong. Changes and evolution of the desktop are necessary, but GNOME is a dictatorship, in some cases even worse than Apple.

Comment

Gnome 3.0 showed the Gnome Dev's real attitude to be just the same as Apple: they have a dream, a vision, and you are just along for the ride.

If that vision happens to be acceptable for you, great, happy to have you. But if its not... They're not really looking to cater to you. You're not their target audience anymore.

Come join us the KDE/Qt/EFL camps We just want to write interesting, fun,code using new technology; if we get some awesome marketshare along the way: good for us, If not... eh, we're having fun anyway.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn3ipen View Post
            WTF do I need to open a context menu with the middle click button when I already have a context menu on the right button?
            Exactly my thoughts. Before too long, I will find it very hard to convince myself to want to try Gnome again. Hopefully Ubuntu can revert whatever changes they try to make to this functionality.

Comment

The Fail Boat is why we have the MATE Desktop

Comment

Shark. Jumped.

Comment

Holy cow!

This was probably one of the features that made me switch to linux.

I can't live without it now, I don't want to go back to the boring windows way...

If they have a way to revert it in the mouse options, if I don't like their new way, I'll be fine, but if not !!....

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                    The worst thing about this change is that the GNOME developers seem once again generally antipathetic to choice. There will be no (graphical) option, if you are very lucky you can change it back with a terminal line.
                    In my understanding, this is just wrong. Changes and evolution of the desktop are necessary, but GNOME is a dictatorship, in some cases even worse than Apple.
                    They're harmless. They live in a bubble. Gnome Shell is probably below XFCE or LXDE usage these days. Way way below KDE, Unity, Cinammon or Mate, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X