X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    It worse than that. Highlight some text, don't copy it, just go somewhere and middle click. This is very powerful tool, but way to easy to get burnt by if you don't know how it works. Default should be off.
    The same is true for the Terminal, maybe they should remove that also or default it to off, so that you have to use the tweak tool to enable the terminal.
    But for real, you screw something up because of an accidental mouse-click? So what? Has Gnome also removed the Undo function?

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Best use for middle button would IMO be quick switching of windows. Hold middle button to bring up alt-tab menu, scroll to select window, release to go to window. Clicking once could still be used for pasting or whatever that way. Fast workflow for when you don't have a hand on the keyboard, or when you want to have the keyboard free for typing text and don't want to constantly jump your fingers to alt+tab and back.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    You can actually paste using the middle button?! I never knew that, seriously.

Seriously, what's the big deal about people toying around with new ideas? If you don't like new ideas then just go back and use older versions. Otherwise, any feature they change/introduce will have its share of haters.
    I never knew that middle-click function either until recently. It seems in this forum double standard applies to GNOME when it comes to removal of some extra functionality which can be easily restored through add-on. It is better to ignore those posts because they ended up a fool when proven wrong.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    You can actually paste using the middle button?! I never knew that, seriously.

Seriously, what's the big deal about people toying around with new ideas? If you don't like new ideas then just go back and use older versions. Otherwise, any feature they change/introduce will have its share of haters.

Leave a comment:

• leif81
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    Seems like most people replying to this thread hardly even read the Phoronix article...
    Business as usual Read the headline, flame in the forum.

Leave a comment:

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by leif81 View Post
    Strange, I see no reference to middle-click changes on the design whiteboard. No wonder they reverted it.

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Desig...rds/Selections

My first reaction to removing middle-click paste is "oh no you didn't!", but after reading the design page I like what GNOME is planning for text selection. Although I don't see why this needs to involve middle-click at all. I can already do selections with my mouse. Just popup the new extent handles every time I make a selection. It'd be pretty nice. If you miss-select text which happens frequently, just drag a handle to make it longer or shorter. Seems useful to me for desktop use cases.
    If you look around the relevant commits/bug reports it seems that the issue is somewhat more complex than "GNOME is removing middle click copy-paste". Seems like most people replying to this thread hardly even read the Phoronix article...

Leave a comment:

• leif81
    replied
    Strange, I see no reference to middle-click changes on the design whiteboard. No wonder they reverted it.

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Desig...rds/Selections

My first reaction to removing middle-click paste is "oh no you didn't!", but after reading the design page I like what GNOME is planning for text selection. Although I don't see why this needs to involve middle-click at all. I can already do selections with my mouse. Just popup the new extent handles every time I make a selection. It'd be pretty nice. If you miss-select text which happens frequently, just drag a handle to make it longer or shorter. Seems useful to me for desktop use cases.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Those lack of customization ones are extremely good arguments. If it's not configurable by default, it's not configurable by the majority.

Gnome Tweak Tool, a GUI for their registry, is barely better than Regedit for Windows. Requiring a third-party tool to provide options that should've been configurable in the main package is terrible.
    Comparing tweak tool to the windows registry is totally absurd. Tweak tools gui is FAR more user friendly than regedit. Have you ever even used tweak tool?

The comparison to the windows regedit is dconf-editor/gconf-editor not tweak tool.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    From what I've seen, the tweak tool is also somewhat limiting, and my point is many of the options that are in it are things that gnome should've had to begin with. Note that while I don't see anything functionally wrong with the tweak tool, from a system-wide point of view, it's disorganized. So you might have a dedicated program to change volume or screen resolution settings, but you need to break open tweak tool for other system related things, such as changing the font. This is just simply a very inelegant way of cramming in additional miscellaneous features that shouldn't be missing in the first place. They could've done it like XFCE, where you can download separate configuration tools but they can all be optionally attached to the same settings manager. Then, there could have been an "advanced mode" where you could reveal some of the more risky or complicated features. That way everybody wins and you don't have to rely on misfit tools.

I'd have to agree that KDE sometimes gets a little too carried away with some settings. I also feel KDE's System Settings program is disorganized, but at least everything is all in 1 place. There are a few things in KDE that I just leave at the defaults because they're too tedious to edit myself. I personally feel XFCE is the only distro that really got everything settings related done right, though I feel KDE has the best features.
    Yeah I do agree that XFCE has a nice settings manager and a good balance of simplicity and settings. I just don't like how old and crufty XFCE is under the hood

Leave a comment:

• krasnoglaz
    replied
    Gnome 3: Killing established workstation usability one feature at a time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X