X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    The point, I believe, is to run the Gnome 2 interface with the Gnome 3 libraries. And if Gnome had just ported the Gnome 2 interface to new libraries, rather than throwing it away to go all Tablet on us, MATE wouldn't have to exist.
    Sure, but most of the Gnome 2 UI code was ported to Gtk+3 along with the rest of it - the old fallback mode was basically the Gtk+3 version of the gnome-panel and metacity, albeit with a few changes to the layout and colour scheme. The MATE guys don't need to waste their time porting their fork of the Gtk+2 code, when the work has already been done and been used in the wild for a few years.

This is the big mistake the MATE guys made - rather than re-create the Gnome 2 UI on top of the Gnome 3 libraries, they took the Gtk+2 versions with all the cruft that the Gnome guys had since cleaned up, and now they're repeating the work that's already been done...

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    Heh, this is silly...

Also, I still think that gnome 3.10 should be just re-named to 3.0 and we could make pact with the devs that we will forget all the shit they did in exchange for normal linux-like development

Also, MATE is dying legacy, but XFCEs development is soooooo slooooow and it have half the features... Cinnamon seems the normal way to go, but do they have enough manpower to fork WHOLE gnome?
    You make it falsely sound as though Gnome Shell is the only up to date GTK+ desktop experience on Linux, when that is simply not the case.
    All of those projects that you have listed have active development, so I fail to see the point of your post besides glorifying Gnome.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    What's the point in that? Their codebase is essentially Gnome 2, which the Gnome developers already ported to GTK+3. What's the value in doing it again, instead of just using the Gnome3 libraries?
    The point, I believe, is to run the Gnome 2 interface with the Gnome 3 libraries. And if Gnome had just ported the Gnome 2 interface to new libraries, rather than throwing it away to go all Tablet on us, MATE wouldn't have to exist.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    There's nothing wrong with toying with new ideas. But there's something *very* wrong with changing the default behaviour of something people have been relying on for twenty years... and doing it with no announcement, just a check-in comment.
    This is Gnome. Of course they won't ask users if they want this, because Change is Good! and Features Are Confusing!

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    You can actually paste using the middle button?! I never knew that, seriously.

Seriously, what's the big deal about people toying around with new ideas? If you don't like new ideas then just go back and use older versions. Otherwise, any feature they change/introduce will have its share of haters.
    There's nothing wrong with toying with new ideas. But there's something *very* wrong with changing the default behaviour of something people have been relying on for twenty years... and doing it with no announcement, just a check-in comment. The change has since been reverted, but it should never have been made without wider discussion...

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    MATE is not "dying legacy", they're in the process of porting their entire codebase to GTK+3.
    What's the point in that? Their codebase is essentially Gnome 2, which the Gnome developers already ported to GTK+3. What's the value in doing it again, instead of just using the Gnome3 libraries?

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I don't think Wayland uses GLX_ anything.
    I meant buffer_age in general, I think its already implemented in EGL.

And buffer_age is also probably important for DRI3000 in X so they will probably have support for the glx extension eventually too. But for GLX we are probably still waiting on it to be supported in mesa, I don't think it is yet...(afaik its only implemented in mesa for EGL atm).

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    I'm sure it will eventually if it doesn't already because it is important for wayland and gnome has been moving quickly with the wayland porting.
    I don't think Wayland uses GLX_ anything.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Does GNOME support GLX_EXT_buffer_age yet?
    I'm sure it will eventually if it doesn't already because it is important for wayland and gnome has been moving quickly with the wayland porting.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Does GNOME support GLX_EXT_buffer_age yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X