• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read this first

Viber App, a spy? your privacy at risk?

Comment

Nice!

Thanks! Though, I think its weird that the download page is acting up. I hope they haven't permanently removed it. Here are the screenshots that they offered on their page: (This is clearly Ubuntu)

Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 26 August 2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Third party upload/download page

Would it be wrong for one of us to make sure this zip file is uploaded elsewhere so that if the company did decide that they want to permanently remove the page, we can still access the file?
        Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 26 August 2013, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Seems nice! The only problem is that it does not want to accept accented characters in Greek, but otherwise it's convenient!

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
            Thanks for the link. I've only distantly heard about Viber, but good to know there's more to doubt about it than just closed source.

Comment

Hi guys!
              This is a member of the Viber Team.

Please note that this version is beta version, We hope to bring you news about the official version soon.
              Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments

Thanks,
              Viber

Comment

I don't get these retarded individuals. They complained for years that commercial vendors do not support Linux-based operating systems with their softwares.

Now when these vendors extend support to "Linux", what they hear from these idiots is "Source or GTFO".

You should just write your own software where you can guarantee access to the source code and STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  I don't get these retarded individuals. They complained for years that commercial vendors do not support Linux-based operating systems with their softwares.

Now when these vendors extend support to "Linux", what they hear from these idiots is "Source or GTFO".

You should just write your own software where you can guarantee access to the source code and STFU.
                  I completely agree with you. As long as the software is an end user application and definitely not part of the distribution. Commercial software availability on linux is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post

That's because you are shallow. With new reports on backdoors everywhere the last thing I need is closed source app for communication.

With phone at least there is _some_ responsiility, with app there is none. If you chose to install it, practically any consequence is left as your problem.

So, for any closed source I would need certain level of trust towards its producer.

If I purchase Adobe Illustrator, for example, I could trust their name and reputation and suppose that they are after licence fees rather than my passwords etc.

But with practically no-name source for phone app ? No way !

And what is it that requires me to use such app ? With Adobe I can count on polished interface and plenty of high-quality, heavilly optimized filters that require mastery of the craft and many thousands of man-hours.

What is the reason for that security exposure here ? A couple of handy buttons ?

Comment

And wrt to "writing my own" - don't worry, I did.

Or rather, I took Linphone and tweaked bits and pieces that bothered me. It wasn't happy being compiled against libav instead ffmpeg, so I had to roll-up my sleeves and do make a few patches.

Comment

Working...
                      X