Native Viber Client Published For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    Which is for this argument irrelevant. Important thing is that tere are plenty of people that would be willing to use closed source in precisely this way.

That "they are not all that way" argument is mostly useless. If you live in the city with population of say million people and just ONE person in every THOUSAND hated your guts enough to be thrilled to throw a fist or five in your face, you probably wouldn't survive even simple stroll through the streets. Even though 99.9% of the population wouldn't have a problem with you.
    Hm, no, that's not how statistics work. With one person in thousand wanting to punch you in the face, you'd have a 0.1% chance of getting punched on any given random encounter (well, technically, the chances increase very slightly after every encounter, because you keep reducing the pool, but the effect is negligible until you have met at least a couple dozen thousand people). That's not a terribly big chance, just get 3 d10 dices and see how long it takes on average to get them all roll 0's at the same time, that's about the same chance (the "about" is because a dice is not a trng).

Point is, closed source is always a black box, no matter where it's made. There's no point in dragging people's nationality into the discussion, because that is irrelevant for this argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Viber View Post
      Hi guys!
      This is a member of the Viber Team.

Please note that this version is beta version, We hope to bring you news about the official version soon.
      Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments

Thanks,
      Viber
      Hello, thanks for providing native Linux binary!

What would be your counter-arguments to http://viberphoneapp.wordpress.com, especially:
      1) What is your company legal address and why is it in Cyprus with PO?
      2) Where does your financial support come from. For example, similar application, ICQ, which founder was also living in Israel at least made revenue by ads.

Sencerely, I was happy to have an alternative to Skype (which doesn't share well-known Skype black points), and then this.

Please comment, thank you.

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
      I don't get these retarded individuals. They complained for years that commercial vendors do not support Linux-based operating systems with their softwares.

Now when these vendors extend support to "Linux", what they hear from these idiots is "Source or GTFO".

You should just write your own software where you can guarantee access to the source code and STFU.
      You must have confused "Brains or GTFO", because you absolutely have no brains.
      1) Its communication software
      2) Its closed source
      1+2 a person of 20 IQ should be able to make assumption and at least inform himself, but you instead switch to usuall yelling. Yes, someone wants source, whats wrong about him? If you don't think this way, no one is preventing you to think different or use different OS -> GTFO and don't smoke the sky!

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Hm, no, that's not how statistics work. With one person in thousand wanting to punch you in the face, you'd have a 0.1% chance of getting punched on any given random encounter
        Take a walk through a small city like Ljubljana ( 300k+ people) on a nice sunny day and see how many people you'l get in line of sight. Then go into some shopping center for a thing or two.

You'd get easily a few people brething on your neck even with those odds.

Comment

Open or closed source

To me if it can be installed without being root: Then I am ok with closed source. I put those apps in a separate user and hope they stay there. Open source is not 100% safe either so there is always some risk.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            You must have confused "Brains or GTFO", because you absolutely have no brains.
            1) Its communication software
            2) Its closed source
            1+2 a person of 20 IQ should be able to make assumption and at least inform himself, but you instead switch to usuall yelling. Yes, someone wants source, whats wrong about him? If you don't think this way, no one is preventing you to think different or use different OS -> GTFO and don't smoke the sky!
            There's a slight difference between having a desire to see the source code of an application and demanding the source code of an application.

I won't go as far as telling you that you have no brain but you are not using it efficiently if you are unable to understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              There's a slight difference between having a desire to see the source code of an application and demanding the source code of an application.

I won't go as far as telling you that you have no brain but you are not using it efficiently if you are unable to understand that.
              Actually nobody here demanded sources reread those posts and you might get it. Also could you go troll somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                Actually nobody here demanded sources reread those posts and you might get it. Also could you go troll somewhere else?
                So I'm trolling now? Why? Because I replied in kind to a comment?

You disagree with my opinion so I must be a troll right?

Piss off Sherlock.

Comment

Originally posted by Viber View Post
                  Hi guys!
                  This is a member of the Viber Team.

Please note that this version is beta version, We hope to bring you news about the official version soon.
                  Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments

Thanks,
                  Viber
                  Thank you, now when my mom goes to Germany I can communicate with her more easily, as she uses viber on her phone through the wifi.
                  To all the people who are upset? Why just dont use it. I dont use viber as my main communication system but my parents and grandma and their friends understand how to use it and they arent going to switch to some opensource system that requires know how to run. So some of us occasionally have to use these type of programs. At least now I dont have to switch to windows to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                    With phone at least there is _some_ responsiility, with app there is none. If you chose to install it, practically any consequence is left as your problem.
                    Are you really that ignorant? If you really think that with phones you can get away with them not spying on you, think again. ECHELON has been active since the 1960s it's a massive part of why the NSA was founded to begin with. Furthermore on that point remember a certain bit of software called CarrierIQ? Or the 2005 courtcase where they took down a mafia by listening in on them talking using their phones as recording devices without them knowing. Keep in mind that in 2005 the hot phone of the time was the motorolla razr yeah that's right not even a smartphone and they were capable of doing this. In short a cellphone or any phone for that matter is worse than any piece of closed source software and is the real direct line to the NSA.
                    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 27 August 2013, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Are you really that ignorant?
                      Read my post again and filter-out things you implied. I know about all the ugly things you listed and while there surely many more and whole concept sucks and should be terminated, it is still one step better than an closed source app, downloaded from some obscure foreign page.

Your ISP might be a baqsterd, but he is registered entity, taht can be closed, searched and its owners or operators jailed etc. Sucky odds, but still, some better than none.

My point was that after all these experiences ( milliions intrusions of one nature or other, people in jail because of false proof of calls they never made etc etc) last thing I would expect from Phoronix is to advertise solution that is even _less_ trustworthy than shitty solutions we are forced into right now.
                      That's a sort of accomplishment in on itself. Much more than simple proverbial shot in oneself's foot:

Comment

Working...
                      X