Native Viber Client Published For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    Would it be wrong for one of us to make sure this zip file is uploaded elsewhere so that if the company did decide that they want to permanently remove the page, we can still access the file?
    Morally or legally wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      That's because you are shallow. With new reports on backdoors everywhere the last thing I need is closed source app for communication.

With phone at least there is _some_ responsiility, with app there is none. If you chose to install it, practically any consequence is left as your problem.

So, for any closed source I would need certain level of trust towards its producer.

If I purchase Adobe Illustrator, for example, I could trust their name and reputation and suppose that they are after licence fees rather than my passwords etc.

But with practically no-name source for phone app ? No way !

And what is it that requires me to use such app ? With Adobe I can count on polished interface and plenty of high-quality, heavilly optimized filters that require mastery of the craft and many thousands of man-hours.

What is the reason for that security exposure here ? A couple of handy buttons ?
      Feeling entitled?

What makes you think that they are obligated to giving you access to the source code?

If you have such reservations about the product/service the obvious option is to not use it.

There are alternatives. Also, if there were no alternatives and you still garner such reservations then you should just implement your own.

Comment

And wrt to "writing my own" - don't worry, I did.

Or rather, I took Linphone and tweaked bits and pieces that bothered me. It wasn't happy being compiled against libav instead ffmpeg, so I had to roll-up my sleeves and do make a few patches.
        Good on you man. More power to you.

<s>You seem like a "bigger picture" person</s>

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
          Feeling entitled?

What makes you think that they are obligated to giving you access to the source code?
          Nothing. So I never claimed that. I've just said that installing such app is generally very bad idea.

If you have such reservations about the product/service the obvious option is to not use it.
          Which is the route I chose.

There are alternatives. Also, if there were no alternatives and you still garner such reservations then you should just implement your own.
          Which I did, as I said.

Comment

I don't get these retarded individuals. They complained for years that commercial vendors do not support Linux-based operating systems with their softwares.

Now when these vendors extend support to "Linux", what they hear from these idiots is "Source or GTFO".

You should just write your own software where you can guarantee access to the source code and STFU.

The people who want absolutely everything to be F/OSS are not usually the same people who want Linux to be popular.

Comment

I don't get these retarded individuals. They complained for years that commercial vendors do not support Linux-based operating systems with their softwares.

Now when these vendors extend support to "Linux", what they hear from these idiots is "Source or GTFO".

You should just write your own software where you can guarantee access to the source code and STFU.
              Communication is something where privacy should be guaranteed to people. We already know that Skype is a NSA hotline, with the NSA lapdog Microsoft willingly giving them anything they need to wiretap people. And yet people like you still keep your head in the sand and go "oh come on what's the worst that could happen". What indeed...

The only way to guarantee privacy is open source. We need open protocols for VoIP with encryption as default. Maybe something that tunnels via SSH or something like that.

I've been thinking about a peer-to-peer communication network. I've come up with a scheme that would counter the problem that is inherent in protocols such as bitmessage - that no one wants to remember 128-bit base64 codes for people's addresses, we need some way to make them human-readable. So I figure, let's use namecoins for registering domain names, and domains can then grant user names to individual peers. Any peer would be free to either be their own domain by getting a namecoin and registering the domain, or use a trusted 3rd-party domain to assign an address for them. The domains would not act as servers, or have any access to the peers' communications or data, they'd only provide name-to-peer translation, sort of like DNS. Then, each peer can create their own channels, which will also be under the same domain as the peer's own name, and invite other peers on them - or open direct peer-to-peer communications with other peers. The protocol should support at least plaintext chat, html/rich text chat, sending/receiving files, and voip/video calls. And once again, all traffic would move encrypted and totally anonymous to outside observers.

That would, IMO, be the ideal solution for all internet communications. Robust, good privacy, entirely free and open source, not dependent on ANY centralized systems or government control.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Communication is something where privacy should be guaranteed to people. We already know that Skype is a NSA hotline, with the NSA lapdog Microsoft willingly giving them anything they need to wiretap people. And yet people like you still keep your head in the sand and go "oh come on what's the worst that could happen". What indeed...

The only way to guarantee privacy is open source. We need open protocols for VoIP with encryption as default. Maybe something that tunnels via SSH or something like that.

I've been thinking about a peer-to-peer communication network. I've come up with a scheme that would counter the problem that is inherent in protocols such as bitmessage - that no one wants to remember 128-bit base64 codes for people's addresses, we need some way to make them human-readable. So I figure, let's use namecoins for registering domain names, and domains can then grant user names to individual peers. Any peer would be free to either be their own domain by getting a namecoin and registering the domain, or use a trusted 3rd-party domain to assign an address for them. The domains would not act as servers, or have any access to the peers' communications or data, they'd only provide name-to-peer translation, sort of like DNS. Then, each peer can create their own channels, which will also be under the same domain as the peer's own name, and invite other peers on them - or open direct peer-to-peer communications with other peers. The protocol should support at least plaintext chat, html/rich text chat, sending/receiving files, and voip/video calls. And once again, all traffic would move encrypted and totally anonymous to outside observers.

That would, IMO, be the ideal solution for all internet communications. Robust, good privacy, entirely free and open source, not dependent on ANY centralized systems or government control.
                First of all, I am mindful of my own privacy (when and where it matters to me) and I think everyone has a right to their own privacy. I don't know where you get off claiming "people like you still keep your head in the sand and go "oh come on what's the worst that could happen"".

My comments said nothing about privacy.

Nevertheless, if you feel so strongly about it, you should implement your ideas and open source your implementation and be done with it. Solves your problem? Good on you.

There are many people who talk up a storm but never act. Lets see what you will do.

Comment

@dee:

+1

But it seems like we have to let Mother Nature to do her thing through selection, otherwise new and new protected idiots will drown us all.

After all this, if anyone feels having his COMMUNICATIONS be done through a piece of closed source of practically non-name origin ( with practically no possibility of legal oversight or enforce), so be it. Idiots have their firm place in food chain, after all.

I am more concerned with sources as Phoronix ( often mocked as Moronix in many circles) openly presenting this as an basically good idea.

It seems to me Phoronix is really working its way to a namechange.

I get it why bunch of Israelis advertise this idea. After all, we all know that practically all Israelis have military traiining and MOSSAD agents are worldly renownde as idiots. After all their training they are sent to Springield Nuclear Powrplant to become high-quality idiots under watchfull eye of Homer Simpson.

What I don't understand is why Phoronix chose to be a tool in Jahve's effort to show Allah that it has harder errection and deeper penetration.

Comment

I get it why bunch of Israelis advertise this idea. After all, we all know that practically all Israelis have military traiining and MOSSAD agents are worldly renownde as idiots. After all their training they are sent to Springield Nuclear Powrplant to become high-quality idiots under watchfull eye of Homer Simpson.

What I don't understand is why Phoronix chose to be a tool in Jahve's effort to show Allah that it has harder errection and deeper penetration.
                    Umm no, please don't confuse politics with people, and don't paint an entire people with a broad brush. There's plenty of people in Israel (as in any other country) who don't agree with their extremist policies or have anything to do with MOSSAD and just want to live regular lives in peace.

Doesn't matter what country a software is made in. If it's closed source, you don't know if you can trust it, that's it. Do you seriously think software made in the USA is any more trustworthy than software made in Israel, China or Iran? Think again. USA is where the NSA lives, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      Umm no, please don't confuse politics with people, and don't paint an entire people with a broad brush. There's plenty of people in Israel (as in any other country) who don't agree with their extremist policies or have anything to do with MOSSAD and just want to live regular lives in peace.
                      Which is for this argument irrelevant. Important thing is that tere are plenty of people that would be willing to use closed source in precisely this way.

That "they are not all that way" argument is mostly useless. If you live in the city with population of say million people and just ONE person in every THOUSAND hated your guts enough to be thrilled to throw a fist or five in your face, you probably wouldn't survive even simple stroll through the streets. Even though 99.9% of the population wouldn't have a problem with you.

Doesn't matter what country a software is made in. If it's closed source, you don't know if you can trust it, that's it. Do you seriously think software made in the USA is any more trustworthy than software made in Israel, China or Iran? Think again. USA is where the NSA lives, after all.
                      I wasn't singling out Israel as especially untrustworthy. These days it's really hard to get ahead of USA in this regard. I was just saying that some posts here get their context with that wordpress link about Vibo's creators.

Comment

Working...
                      X