No announcement yet.

Pipelight: A Way To Get Netflix On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason nobody of the governmental regulation services think it's weird that basically all bigger streaming services are required to use proprietary microsoft technology that only works on microsoft or apple's operating systems. As far as I have read the film industry just says "use this microsoft drm or you won't get movie licenses"

This is not only netflix, but also amazon's lovefilm or the german watchever.de. Only hulu seems to use flash? Not sure, since I can't access it from germany to watch content anyway.

Comment

HOLY SHIT, STOP THE PRESSES!!! Larabel actually managed to post an article with a RELEVANT LINK and NO LINK BACKS TO PREVIOUS ARTICLES!

Someone call the authorities, something is very wrong with him today!

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the playback is any smoother than on netflix-desktop?

Comment

I don't know of the feature state of Moonlight but: why don't use it?

Comment

Fuck it indeed

I don't get it why people waste time bending over to Hollywood's greedy cocks. "Don't feed the trolls", as the Internet evergreen saying goes. As long as the Hollywood rather see me warez than paying for the content, I sure as hell will warez all night long. DRM means don't buy it.

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            Another soon to be dead project.

Netflix is ditching silverlight:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...e-dramatically
            Those HTML5 DRM APIs are experimental stuff, which may or may not ever become part of the actual standard. There was supposed to be a meeting last June, where some decisions were supposed to be made, but I can't find any news concerning the outcome. Anyways that DRM stuff might not be platform-independent, although the W3C specs said the target is to avoid strict dependencies. Basically the "HTML5 DRM API" is just a proprietary Internet Explorer (+ Chrome Book) extension at this point. Sounds familiar?
            Last edited by curfew; 18 August 2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              For some reason nobody of the governmental regulation services think it's weird that basically all bigger streaming services are required to use proprietary microsoft technology that only works on microsoft or apple's operating systems. As far as I have read the film industry just says "use this microsoft drm or you won't get movie licenses"

This is not only netflix, but also amazon's lovefilm or the german watchever.de. Only hulu seems to use flash? Not sure, since I can't access it from germany to watch content anyway.
              It's not only them, but also nigh-every DVD and Blu-ray movie ever released.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                Hear hear. Hacks upon hacks with DRM over Wine, or convenient movies with none of that crap?

Comment

Who wants to use netflix anyway?

Comment

I'd like to use this for Blinkbox, and possibly Lovefilm, though I currently only use the latter for DVDs and Blu-rays in the mail. If Netflix makes HTML5 work then I expect these two will follow suit but that may be some way off yet. I don't blame any of them for using Silverlight. With their only real choices being shut down or suck it up, their hands were effectively tied. While I dislike DRM, I don't believe in piracy either, and piracy doesn't exactly help our cause. If it means HTML5 with a binary blob, so be it. I dislike binary blobs too but if it's only to decrypt movies, as opposed to doing something critical like driving a graphics card, I can live with that.

So I'm currently trying to get this working on Gentoo. All 8 Wine patches apply without issue and I've created an ebuild for pipelight that builds from source using mingw32. It's not quite working yet but I think I'm close.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                      I'd like to use this for Blinkbox, and possibly Lovefilm, though I currently only use the latter for DVDs and Blu-rays in the mail. If Netflix makes HTML5 work then I expect these two will follow suit but that may be some way off yet. I don't blame any of them for using Silverlight. With their only real choices being shut down or suck it up, their hands were effectively tied. While I dislike DRM, I don't believe in piracy either, and piracy doesn't exactly help our cause. If it means HTML5 with a binary blob, so be it. I dislike binary blobs too but if it's only to decrypt movies, as opposed to doing something critical like driving a graphics card, I can live with that.
                      This. Is. Stupid.

Firstly, you don't believe in piracy? Fine, but you should know that DRM does nothing to deter piracy - it encourages it. If the entertainment really wants to get rid of "piracy", they should provide a service that is competitive with it. Crippling your product with DRM is not a way to do that. And what cause is that that you think it doesn't help? Some call it piracy, some call it free sharing.

Secondly, with a binary blob in HTML5 - you cannot know what it does. It might just be decryption, or it might be doing whatever and you can't inspect it because it's a black box sent to your computer by the entertainment industry. But don't worry, it's not like they'd ever do anything malicious in the name of "copy protection", such as install rootkits on your computer. Oh wait... they already did that? Well, it's not like they'd do it... again... I guess...

Thirdly, EME - ie. binary blobs in HTML5 - is in no way an improvement to silverlight/flash. We'll just be effectively exchanging 2 proprietary web plugins to a zillion proprietary web plugins, and you can guess how many of those will truly be platform-independent - zero. They're binary blobs, so they have to be made OS- and architecture-specific. Most will probably just run on windows, mac os, and maybe android/ios if they care about mobile.

Comment

Working...
                      X