Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Deeper With Xiph.Org's Daala

Phoronix: Going Deeper With Xiph.Org's Daala

Last month Xiph.Org presented Daala, a next-generation open-source video codec. While there's still a lot of work to see how Daala will ultimately perform and compare in terms of adoption to the next-gen VP9 and H.265/HEVC codecs, it's continuing to show promise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sue them! Sue the shit out of them before they gather steam! oops I was dreaming I'm an Apple lawyer..

Comment

If the quality is better than H.265 or at least VP9, with equal or better compression rate; this could be amazing really.

Comment

Like the new technical directions with compression techniques.
        Some innovation on the basics is needed.

Comment

Good to see that someone's not only copying work and adding miniscule enhancements to existing video compression methods, but is experimenting with new fundamentals. Daala has the potential to become something great, and even if it turns out it is not better than h265 in the end, they will surely have contributed to science and video coding technology. I respect those folks and wish them with all my heart that they succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Sue them! Sue the shit out of them before they gather steam! oops I was dreaming I'm an Apple lawyer..
            You're confusing Apple with Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              You're confusing Apple with Google.
              Huh? When was the last time Google sued somebody offensively to stop a competitor? They just countersue people already suing them. Apple is indeed the company most famous for kicking off the patent wars.

Comment

Working...
              X