Razor & LXDE-Qt Desktop Projects To Merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grok View Post
    Alright, I thought Mir was mostly about the same things as Wayland but it's more involved.
    Didn't know the "compatibility layer" or whatever it is for Android drivers ran on Wayland too!
    Well, the library was made by Jolla for Wayland, so that was expected.

And yes I guess you'll be able to run pcmanfm-Qt on Unity Qt, if only you find yourself on that machine and want to quickly install that file manager without messing anything up. Some people run pcmanfm GTK2 on heavy desktops.
    I'm fully aware, I did that on Xubuntu before Thunar got tabs (I just waited to switch because there were some things I didn't like on PCManFM. Specifically, the way it handled file moving, I don't know if it got changed). But that wouldn't be "running LXDE" at all, it would just be changing your file manager.

I fondly remember a fluxbox + pcmanfm machine too (a public music player PC)
    Yes, that's a common combination. Did it use lxpanel or fbpanel?

Comment

It simply used the little task bar thingy included in fluxbox (only one workspace configured), and the right-click menu. The menu was deficient for a while till I simply manually edited it to have the local language equivalent of "Audio Player" (simply Audacious in Winamp 2 mode), "File Manager", "Web Browser", "Terminal", "PC Shut Down" (had to give user read/execute rights to the halt command)

I guess that's "not LXDE" but it had pcmanfm, lxterminal and gpicview.
      I don't remember what can be wrong with pcmanfm but it has one killer feature, besides tabs and somewhat being a better nautilus than nautilus. That's the "semi-automatic" mount of USB drives, which just plain works and does not do things in your back. No shit like "umm, is it mounted or not? and is my drive that /media/1eeb7453-ffd0a thing?"
      Last edited by grok; 30 July 2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
        I don't remember what can be wrong with pcmanfm but it has one killer feature, besides tabs and somewhat being a better nautilus than nautilus. That's the "semi-automatic" mount of USB drives, which just plain works and does not do things in your back. No shit like "umm, is it mounted or not? and is my drive that /media/1eeb7453-ffd0a thing?"
        I had some problems when moving files. The way it handled it (last time I used it was over a year ago, so that might have changed, and it's likely to since I think this would make it a no-no for pretty much anyone) was actually MOVING the files to a buffer and then move it to the destination. This meant when the move operation failed (for example, if moving over a network and losing connection) I've losed my files, because PCManFM erased first, even when the copy was unsuccessful. I got sick of first copying and then erasing manually to workaround the bad design of that operation, so in the moment I found out Thunar started using tabs I ditched PCManFM.

Comment

Working...
        X