KDE Ships 4.11 Release Candidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    Wow, call me a retard for not liking something, very mature.
    I don't aim to look mature on Phoronix (no point to it). When I see a retarded comment, I simply state that a comment is retarded and yours is one of the most retarded ones in recent Phoronix history and that won't change no matter how mature you think writing ?very mature? makes you look.

This was 5 years ago and unfortunately there is still no apparent purpose to the toolbox
    Not to retarded people, true!

I don't think it is possible to disable it by editing a config file. You really have to install 3rd party software.
    The desktop is just a containment. The toolbox is a special kind of Plasma applet (unless something has changed in recent releases).
    Create a containment without that applet and you're done. How you create that containment, is up to you.

The simple truth remains: It's not required to modify the C++ source code of Plasma Desktop and recompile it. Therefore it's configurable.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      just lock plasmoids if don't want to see the cashew.
      This would be perfect but unfortunately that only works for the thing in the taskbar.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      I don't aim to look mature on Phoronix (no point to it). When I see a retarded comment, I simply state that a comment is retarded and yours is one of the most retarded ones in recent Phoronix history and that won't change no matter how mature you think writing ?very mature? makes you look.

Not to retarded people, true!
      You sound upset. No need to get emotional about this.

The desktop is just a containment. The toolbox is a special kind of Plasma applet (unless something has changed in recent releases).
      Create a containment without that applet and you're done. How you create that containment, is up to you.

The simple truth remains: It's not required to modify the C++ source code of Plasma Desktop and recompile it. Therefore it's configurable.
      I know this and creating a containment requires C++. That is not what I call configurable.

Comment

I know this and creating a containment requires C++.
        No, it doesn't.

Comment

No, it doesn't.
          Ok, I found the documentation page of the containment class and that was in C++. Maybe it is also possible to write one in javascript or something but still, why should you have to code stuff just to get a clean desktop? It would be so easy to provide an option for that and many people want it. It makes no sense that it still isn't implemented.

Comment

Ok, I found the documentation page of the containment class and that was in C++.
            Of the two Plasma widgets to ease users with hiding the toolbox one is written in Python, the other on Ruby. Neither is written in C++.

Comment

Also, there is a desktop containment fully written in QML.

This is a preview of the port of KDE Plasma's Desktop containment to QML. Read more about this on my blog at vizZzion.org

Comment

Of the two Plasma widgets to ease users with hiding the toolbox one is written in Python, the other on Ruby. Neither is written in C++.
                Okay, but that still doesn't change the fact that you have to either install or code something. It is one extra thing I have to do everytime I install KDE. Not really that big of a deal, but what bothers me is that this has been requested for 5 years and no good reason was given why it hasn't been implemented. It feels like some KDE developers don't care about the users. When for example Gnome-Shell had no shutdown button they changed it after many users complained.

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                Also, there is a desktop containment fully written in QML.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR5UZUtcOGc
                Nice, very smooth animations.

Comment

Okay, but that still doesn't change the fact that you have to either install or code something.
                  The fact remains that you can hide it so STFU.
                  Nobody complains that Firefox? functionality is extensible via add-ons that have to be installed.

It is one extra thing I have to do everytime I install KDE.
                  Nobody cares.

Not really that big of a deal, but what bothers me is that this has been requested for 5 years and no good reason was given why it hasn't been implemented.
                  It has been explained, you just don't accept the explanation.

Comment

The fact remains that you can hide it so STFU.
                    Nobody complains that Firefox? functionality is extensible via add-ons that have to be installed.
                    Plasma being extensible is not the problem, it is actually a good thing. The problem is that a very basic functionality is not implemented by default.

Nobody cares.
                    Actually a lot of people care. Just read the huge discussion on the bug report:

Unfortunately the main plasma developer seems just as stubborn as you so they eventually gave up on it.

It has been explained, you just don't accept the explanation.
                    I have seen two explanations:
                    1) Right click isn't always available. That's like 5% of the userbase and on those devices plasma could easily use a different containment if they don't already.
                    2) "It will be awesome, just wait for it." Five years later... it's not awesome.

Comment

As it's been said, anyone can hide the desktop cashew under the main panel / task bar if they dislike it.

I'm using KDE 4.10.5 and the desktop cashew is really small, also.
                      Last edited by Nth_man; 20 July 2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X