KDE Ships 4.11 Release Candidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    Is the cashew finally optional? It is my biggest issue with KDE.
    No but you can remove it by installing Py-Cashew or I Hate The Cashew.

Comment

Is the cashew finally optional? It is my biggest issue with KDE.
      ... If the little Cashew or "Desktop" tag in an arbitrary corner / screen-edge is your biggest issue with KDE.. I consider that an endorsement, not a criticism.

Regardless, "I Hate The Cashew" and "PyCashew" will both hide it if its that big of a deal
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        No but you can remove it by installing Py-Cashew or I Hate The Cashew.
        Thanks, but I knew that already. It is also possible to hide it under the taskbar. But when will there be a default option to disable it?

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        I consider that an endorsement, not a criticism.
        Yes, I actually do like KDE, but this one thing really bothers me. Why is there an ugly toolbox which serves no purpose that I can't disable without installing 3rd party software.

Comment

Thanks, but I knew that already. It is also possible to hide it under the taskbar. But when will there be a default option to disable it?

Yes, I actually do like KDE, but this one thing really bothers me. Why is there an ugly toolbox which serves no purpose that I can't disable without installing 3rd party software.
          Easy access to activities settings? Easy access to desktop settings? A lot of those settings ARE also available under right click but with the push to mobile its stupid to assume that there will always be a "right click" available and its smart to keep a dedicated button there for those cases.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Easy access to activities settings? Easy access to desktop settings? A lot of those settings ARE also available under right click but with the push to mobile its stupid to assume that there will always be a "right click" available and its smart to keep a dedicated button there for those cases.
            Yes, but there could easily be an option to disable it on the desktop. A lot of people never use it. On my desktop form follows function and if something isn't absolutely necessary I want to be able to remove it. For example I also hide the menu bar and the side panels in dolphin. I expect this especially from KDE because it is supposed to be customizable.

Comment

[?] this one thing really bothers me.
              You know how to disable the toolbox and you still are bothered by it? That must be one of the most retarded comments I've read lately on Phoronix and that says a lot!
              As you are aware: It IS possible to hide the toolbox.

Just because KDE software is very configurable, does it not mean that all options have to be accessible by the UI. You can edit plasma-desktop-appletsrc by hand if you like.
              Whether or not to disable the toolbox by default is ? as always ? the distributor?s choice!

Comment

For one thing, there needs to be a backup in case the right-click menu is disabled.

Comment

It's also a nice visual cue when writing tutorials. You can't exactly screenshot a right mouse button click.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    You know how to disable the toolbox and you still are bothered by it? That must be one of the most retarded comments I've read lately on Phoronix and that says a lot!
                    As you are aware: It IS possible to hide the toolbox.
                    Wow, call me a retard for not liking something, very mature.
                    I really think I shouldn't have to research on the internet and install something just to have a clean desktop. And I am not alone. There is actually a very old bug requesting such an option and the only reason given why it wasn't implemented was:

Aaron J. Seigo 2008-01-22
                    seriously, give us a couple of releases so you all actually start to be able to see what we're working towards.

Aaron J. Seigo 2008-02-25
                    and finally, no, you probably don't know what the toolbox is intended for and no i'm not going to sit here and write pages explaining it. there is purpose to it, you'll see it as the code emerges. explaining it beforehand is not going to resolve the situation any faster.

Aaron J. Seigo 2008-06-23
                    watch how things evolve, by all means. you won't be disappointed. perhaps that makes it a bit more frustrating too: we're working to get everything in place where everyone can be happy and while we do so people continue to waste time with these discussions as if nothing is happening.

This was 5 years ago and unfortunately there is still no apparent purpose to the toolbox except for mobile devices where you don't have a mouse.(and I am sure probably 90% of KDE users don't use such a device)

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Just because KDE software is very configurable, does it not mean that all options have to be accessible by the UI. You can edit plasma-desktop-appletsrc by hand if you like.
                    Whether or not to disable the toolbox by default is ? as always ? the distributor?s choice!
                    I don't think it is possible to disable it by editing a config file. You really have to install 3rd party software.

Comment

just lock plasmoids if don't want to see the cashew.

Comment

Working...
                      X