KDE Might Move To A Three Month Release Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The only reason I'm against this is because KDE is a bit on the heavy side, however, within the past 3 releases I had to have had at least 40MB of disk space saved due to strictly KDE updates. That's HUGE, and if they keep it up, KDE should shrink to a very clean manageable size. I'm glad KDE at this point is focusing more on maintenance than anything. The stability and usability is improving dramatically in every direction. Clean it up a little more so it boots faster and I think more people would be willing to switch. Most people who hate KDE today either haven't tried it in years, used it on a system that really shouldn't be running it (like a netbook), or dislike the appearance (when it's not that hard to change).
    It'll be better in Frameworks 5 since there's quite a few things that are SUPPOSED to be moved to Qt, and out of KDElibs, as well as modularizing the existing libs. So you'll probably have to install more libraries over all, but they'll be of smaller size. So if you only want one KDE application on an otherwise all Gnome system, it shouldn't as quite as big of a dependency-pull. At least in theory *shrugs*
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

The only reason I'm against this is because KDE is a bit on the heavy side, however, within the past 3 releases I had to have had at least 40MB of disk space saved due to strictly KDE updates. That's HUGE, and if they keep it up, KDE should shrink to a very clean manageable size. I'm glad KDE at this point is focusing more on maintenance than anything. The stability and usability is improving dramatically in every direction. Clean it up a little more so it boots faster and I think more people would be willing to switch. Most people who hate KDE today either haven't tried it in years, used it on a system that really shouldn't be running it (like a netbook), or dislike the appearance (when it's not that hard to change).
      I'm sorry but just how is KDE in maintenance mode? They're getting close to completing a rather major overhaul of the infrastructure into KF5 and Plasma2, all the core plasmoids are being changed over to using QML in preparation for Plasma2, Kwin is being worked on heavily in order to get it ready for Wayland, etc. and that's for the desktop environment the applications themselves are advancing quickly and plasma-nm for instance has been totally overhauled and Kate has gotten a variety of new and interesting features. Sure Plasma Workspaces 1 was frozen, just as KDELibs is frozen but by no means does that mean that the project as a whole is in maintenance mode, it's just that it is now time to declare the old as "Done" so that more effort can be spent on shifting to the new.

Comment

@ericg
        I'd rather have many small packages than a few huge ones. Especially considering if not all of them are dependent upon each other. I don't particularly like having all of KDE updating at the same time, though I don't complain because I understand why they do it the way they do.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        I'm sorry but just how is KDE in maintenance mode? They're getting close to completing a rather major overhaul of the infrastructure into KF5 and Plasma2, all the core plasmoids are being changed over to using QML in preparation for Plasma2, Kwin is being worked on heavily in order to get it ready for Wayland, etc. and that's for the desktop environment the applications themselves are advancing quickly and plasma-nm for instance has been totally overhauled and Kate has gotten a variety of new and interesting features. Sure Plasma Workspaces 1 was frozen, just as KDELibs is frozen but by no means does that mean that the project as a whole is in maintenance mode, it's just that it is now time to declare the old as "Done" so that more effort can be spent on shifting to the new.
        I didn't mean maintenance mode as a bad thing... I meant that for KDE 4 anyway, it's basically just bug fixes, performance improvements, and minor tweaks. If you don't call that maintenance, I don't know what is. Otherwise, I agree with you entirely, I think you just misinterpreted me, while I was also being a little too ambiguous.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was referring to KDE 4.x being in maintenance mode.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
            4.x is the LTS?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag
              I didn't mean maintenance mode as a bad thing... I meant that for KDE 4 anyway, it's basically just bug fixes, performance improvements, and minor tweaks. If you don't call that maintenance, I don't know what is. Otherwise, I agree with you entirely, I think you just misinterpreted me, while I was also being a little too ambiguous.
              Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
              Basically my problem with the above and previous statements it this: you're not discerning the difference between Plasma Workspaces 1 and the KDE Software Compilation. They announced that the KDE Workspaces which is to say Plasma Workspaces 1 is in maintenance mode, not the Software Compilation.

Comment

I'm glad KDE at this point is focusing more on maintenance than anything. The stability and usability is improving dramatically in every direction.
                I'm sorry but just how is KDE in maintenance mode?
                It's not in "maintenance mode," and that's not what was said. KDE has over the past few releases(notably 4.9, .10, .11) put what outwardly appears like a heavier emphasis on maintenance. I know I've noticed it too via speed increases and an overall improved user experience across the board.

Coulda fooled me that KDE isn't in maintenance mode, because it certainly does to a large degree feel that way. Which if I may say so, is a good thing.

But you are right. It is under heavy development with all sorts of new features. I don't know what the devs over there are doing, but they're doing it right.

Comment

Basically my problem with the above and previous statements it this: you're not discerning the difference between Plasma Workspaces 1 and the KDE Software Compilation. They announced that the KDE Workspaces which is to say Plasma Workspaces 1 is in maintenance mode, not the Software Compilation.
                  kdelibs 4.x has been in maintenance mode as well for several releases now.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    4.x is the LTS?
                    4.11 is the LTS release specifically if thats what you're asking, and it comes out in I THINK early august
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      kdelibs 4.x has been in maintenance mode as well for several releases now.
                      Yes I mentioned that... See Post 13

Comment

Working...
                      X