No announcement yet.

LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They work together. But the problem is the domination and sometimes the ignorance of gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Do you have any idea how utterly impossible this is?

Have you actually looked at GTK and Qt code?
      I do have an idea, and I know how different they are. However, I'm not expecting this to happen from one release to the next. The same way you can gradually deprecate a toolkit (like they did with GTK2), you can gradually make the new APIs converge. I know this will not happen, but that doesn't make the need for this any less true (or any less false, in case some logic refutes the idea). Also, since a wrapper would still be needed for whatever language different from the one it's implemented in in the end, in one of the cases you will only need to figure out how to map them, in the best case.

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      They work together. But the problem is the domination and sometimes the ignorance of gnome.
      What do they work together in?
      Last edited by mrugiero; 05 July 2013, 08:40 AM. Reason: rephrasing

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        I do have an idea, and I know how different they are. However, I'm not expecting this to happen from one release to the next. The same way you can gradually deprecate a toolkit (like they did with GTK2), you can gradually make the new APIs converge. I know this will not happen, but that doesn't make the need for this any less true (or any less false, in case some logic refutes the idea). Also, since a wrapper would still be needed for whatever language different from the one it's implemented in in the end, in one of the cases you will only need to figure out how to map them, in the best case.
        Why is this preferable to simply having one painting back-end, which is how Windows and Mac do it, and which is how Qt does it when running in GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
          That seems very unlikely. To my knowledge, any code that compiled without deprecation warnings on the newer Gtk+2 versions stands a pretty good chance of compiling with little or no modifications on 3.x.
          I'm pretty sure that's not true of widget theming, which pretty much every desktop environment seems to do - in fact, supposedly even within 3.x new versions often break themes developed for older GTK 3 versions. There's probably other stuff that normal applications don't have to do that's broken from 2.x to 3.x too. Worse still, this appears to be intentional - the GTK developers have said they don't care about non-GNOME consumers of GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
            Also Just because KDE is big and kind of slow and bloated doesn't mean one bit that the UI framework used to build it is bad and bloated. That is 100% the fault of the KDE devs for not caring about perf and is in no way the fault of the Qt framework.
            Nope. KDE is fairly lightweight. Just that distributions usually compile it with everything including the kitchen sink enabled. There are a few projects aiming at building a lightweight variant of KDE.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            No, Ubuntu does not represent the majority of desktop Linux, that's just stupid. Even in the Steam survey Ubuntu couldn't get a majority share. What statistics do you have to show otherwise?

And no, Mir is not going to "attract the most driver and software support" because of steam. GPU makers don't care about Steam, which is small peanuts compared to the render farms running RHEL which will be running Wayland.
            Depends on how you define "majority". If more than 50%, then yes, you're right. If more than others, then you're wrong. They seem to have around 40% of the Linux users, so unless there is another distribution that amounts to more than that, Ubuntu is still the most popular. That's, of course, if you count desktops, and not servers.

And the GPU makers do care about Steam, if it's easy enough. Adding support for EGL means both Mir and Wayland, so it should be fine for the manufacturers to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Interesting. I see that the desktop background, for one, is the same between both, but then it might be a part of Openbox?
              Last I checked the mailing lists, the Razor project was at least interested in using PCManFM?s desktop mode as well as other LXDE tools not already present in Razor.
              As far as I understand the situation, PCMan is first simply porting everything to Qt as an experiment but neither team expressed NIH syndrome.
              So my guess is that both teams eventually pick what works best and let inferior tools with overlapping functionality die.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              They are in no way mutually exclusive; it can be both huge and modularized at the same time.
              Qt without all modules is not huge. Qt is more common in handheld devices than GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Depends on how you define "majority". If more than 50%, then yes, you're right.
                Is there some way to define "majority" other than "more than 50%"? Anything that is less than 50% of the whole is by definition not a majority.

If more than others,
                If I had meant "more than others", I would have said that...

then you're wrong. They seem to have around 40% of the Linux users, so unless there is another distribution that amounts to more than that, Ubuntu is still the most popular. That's, of course, if you count desktops, and not servers.

And the GPU makers do care about Steam, if it's easy enough. Adding support for EGL means both Mir and Wayland, so it should be fine for the manufacturers to implement.
                If they do, then why haven't either Nvidia or AMD fallen over themselves declaring support for Mir/Wayland by now? Where are the announcements of EGL drivers? Canonical seems to be trying to play chicken with the GPU makers, saying they'll use Mir by default in 14.04, but so far the GPU makers aren't flinching... Worst case scenario, we'll all have to wait until RHEL goes Wayland only.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Is there some way to define "majority" other than "more than 50%"? Anything that is less than 50% of the whole is by definition not a majority.
                  [OT]Politics ;-) Relative majority: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_%28voting%29[/OT]

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    If Windows is dying Linux is already buried. What's next? Applications are first written on Linux and then on Windows? It must be sad being you with all these delusions. Windows dying? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Linux doesn't even register on the desktop and you claim that Windows is dying? When was the last time you used Windows? What exactly did suck so much? Windows 7 is solid as hell. Even better than anything Linux. Especially when it comes to graphics drivers. So many more applications, so much better applications..... Hahahaha! Windows, dying! Take your pills man.
                    Wow, look at the little windows fanboy, all angry and butthurt... sorry, but you need to smell the roses and accept the inevitable, microsoft is dying and windows with it. Windows 8 is a catastrophic failure, no one wants windows 8 devices - not desktops, not laptops, not tablets, not phones. What does microsoft have? A deal with NSA and a majority of the x86-based desktop PC market - which is shrinking and becoming more and more a niche market, falling out of mainstream - and even that they only have because of inertia and decades of abuse, inside deals and criminal activity. Sooner or later the market will correct itself, even the desktop market is showing signs of wanting to get rid of windows alltogether.

No, you need to face the facts - your beloved corporate empire is collapsing. Microsoft is dying, while Linux is growing and thriving, and all the angry rants you can post aren't going to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Linux doesn't even register on the desktop and you claim that Windows is dying?
                      Desktop? Ever heard of Android? Ever heard of the consumer electronics market being dominated by handheld and console devices.. which the majority of are powered by Linux and BSD? Microsoft has been slowly loosing it's grip on the consumer electronics market for the last decade, and it really needed it's next generation of Windows and Xbox to come out swinging in order to reclaim some of that... but look how poorly both of those have been received.

Comment

Working...
                      X