LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
    I would be happy to see the Linux desktop ecosystem go towards a single GUI-toolkit world. It would defragment things a little bit at least and ease app development. And probably lead to a better desktop experience.
    So what would you do to EFL, WxWidgets, Motif, SDL, Clutter and the rest? How exactly would it benefit anything to have less choice of toolkits? How would it "defragment" anything, and how would it ease app development? App developers can already choose whatever toolkit they want, you'd want them to have less choice - how'd that make anything easier?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      So what would you do to EFL, WxWidgets, Motif, SDL, Clutter and the rest? How exactly would it benefit anything to have less choice of toolkits? How would it "defragment" anything, and how would it ease app development? App developers can already choose whatever toolkit they want, you'd want them to have less choice - how'd that make anything easier?
      Agreed.

No platform has a single toolkit, not Windows, not OSX, and certainly not Linux.

What is needed is consistent look&feel and theming. Qt has done this for a long time, automatically adapting to GTK, Mac and Windows themes. GTK refuses to add this functionality, although it exists.

That's the problem. Make them look the same and let the developers choose whatever they feel more comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Qt is by far a better choice when doing cross-platform development, that's true. However, API-wise, I prefer cairo over the Qt equivalent
        Cairo is no part of GTK. It's an independent project that also works with Qt applications.

Did they say why they wanted to port to Qt? Considering that there is already Razor-Qt which fills the same niche and considering that a port from GTK+ to Qt amounts to a complete rewrite (a port from GTK+2 to GTK+3 is quite simple btw), the whole plan seems rather pointless.
        Read the added paragraph in the blog post about Razor.

I am inclined to doubt that, as long as your code is well-written.
        Check the LXDE blog. It's all explained there in previous posts.

Comment

Isn't Qt5 significantly heavier than GTK+2? The point of LXDE is to be lightweight, and in comparison to Xfce, it is. I used to have an Lxde setup that used about 45MB of RAM when booting to the desktop and I used it daily. I don't see this happening with Qt5.

Another thing I wanted to point out is what happens when a distro is released with LXDE and Wayland? That kind of makes the X in LXDE a bit incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            You forgot Fox Toolkit and FLTK.
            • WxWidgets: ewww. I wanted to like it, but it has these little bugs all over the place that make it.. well, ewww
            • SDL: Now you are mixing cattles with aliens. SDL is a great tool for bringing full screen OpenGL content to a platform (see Steam), but it's not what you'd call a general purpose GUI framework (you know, with input boxes, buttons and all that stuff). It's a layer below.
            • Clutter: It's dusty and out of active development.

I like Qt though. It's cross-platform, quite versitale and powerfull and most importantly it's quite clean and nice to work with + it has good documentation.

Edit: Of course, I would enjoy to see people produce alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Isn't Qt5 significantly heavier than GTK+2? The point of LXDE is to be lightweight, and in comparison to Xfce, it is. I used to have an Lxde setup that used about 45MB of RAM when booting to the desktop and I used it daily. I don't see this happening with Qt5.
              Reading the blog post would have answered all of your questions.

Qt5 is slightly heavier than GTK+2 in their experience, but lighter than GTK3. Since GTK2 is dead and won't be ported to Wayland, LXDE has to move to /something/. Having to choose between Qt5 and GTK3, they picked Qt.

Qt is not that heavy, BTW. Depends on what you use, and LXDE will only use the minimum they need.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Isn't Qt5 significantly heavier than GTK+2?
                No.
                Happy now?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Cairo is no part of GTK. It's an independent project that also works with Qt applications.
                  Independent in the sense of: works without GTK+, yes. So is glib and so is pango. Yet, they where created for usage within GTK+ in the first place. That's by the way the charm of the GTK+ eco system: I can use all those projects independent of GTK+, e.g. I can draw my things using cairo and if I eventually choose to create a GUI, I can draw into a GTK+ window without changing a line of code in my drawing function.

Read the added paragraph in the blog post about Razor.
                  I did that before writing the post you commented. They talk about possible cooperation. So far, it's reading razor-qt's config file.

Check the LXDE blog. It's all explained there in previous posts.
                  Not really.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Agreed.

No platform has a single toolkit, not Windows, not OSX, and certainly not Linux.

What is needed is consistent look&feel and theming. Qt has done this for a long time, automatically adapting to GTK, Mac and Windows themes. GTK refuses to add this functionality, although it exists.

That's the problem. Make them look the same and let the developers choose whatever they feel more comfortable with.
                      You're right. The GTK+ apps sit nicely along with Qt apps in KDE but when you launch a Qt app say in Gnome it is a pain to look at.

Comment

Working...
                      X