No announcement yet.

AMD To Exploit OpenCL Potential In LibreOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd think they start with graphic calculations and then think about spreadsheet calculations.
    Let the graphical stuff be calculated by the GPU not CPU!

Comment

Wasn't blender used to make some movies? that would be a good PR movement...

What happened to the HandBrake OpenCL-accelerated encoding?

And one last thing... kinda off-topic: Has anyone tried cracking passwords on the open source driver? things like "John the ripper" ( https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper ) or ocl-hashcat ( http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat-plus/ ).. should these work?

Comment

I just have to say that it's cool that they are adding this feature. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          as another news x264 git is pushing a lot of OpenCL code lately, so it won't be long before the can encode with GPU assistance
          They do only Decode and the Lookahead on the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
            As far as Cycles OpenCL goes: see http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...883#post330883

----
            but last time I tried to compile their shaders (several months ago), they were not working, and looked like they broke some of the CL standard... but it was hard to tell, given that it was all CUDA code that was ported/translated through pre-processor macros.

Well, that explains. So it seems as if NVidia's OpenCL implementation is as forgiving as it's OpenGL implementation -- definitively not good. At least not good, if development is done using these drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              And one last thing... kinda off-topic: Has anyone tried cracking passwords on the open source driver? things like "John the ripper" ( https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper ) or ocl-hashcat ( http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat-plus/ ).. should these work?
              Or like Bitcoin mining?

Comment

First, what *is* OpenCL going to be used for in LibreOffice? It just doesn't do all that much heavy number crunching as far as I know. Not that I'm against it, I'm just curious.

Secondly.. as for AMD not helping Blender, hopefully AMD will run into some of the same types of bugs in their OpenCL implementation that are making your OpenCL uses fail, will have to fix them, and your OpenCL code will then function on AMD GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by hwertz View Post
                  Secondly.. as for AMD not helping Blender,
                  I never see an Statement that they don't want do it.

Originally posted by hwertz View Post
                  hopefully AMD will run into some of the same types of bugs in their OpenCL implementation that are making your OpenCL uses fail, will have to fix them, and your OpenCL code will then function on AMD GPUs.
                  And again. The Blender Guys blame AMD, but for me its not clear if its really an fault in AMDs OpenCL Implementation or that Nvidias and Intels Implementation allow an not Specified Scenario.

And last as my PoV as an User. Then the Blender Guys have to implement an Workaround that it will work and stop crying like little pussys that AMD stole there candys.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                    Are you kidding me, right?
                    Oh my lord don't argue about stupid stuff. Apparently you missed out on the rising popularity of hyperbole. He isn't trying to literally say only 3 people use Blender, only pointing out the vast difference in numbers of users between a general-purpose software suite and a specialized tool.

Originally posted by curaga
                    This picture sums it up with great eloquence.

You're using the fucking wrong tool for the job if your spreadsheet is that heavy.
                    Not at all. GPGPU usage makes things faster and it saves on battery life. Even if your spreadsheet doesn't _need_ OpenCL it's still beneficial to use it.

It's also disingenuous to claim that big spreadsheets are wrong. What _is_ the right tool for the job if you need a regular office worker to handle large volumes of tabular formulas? Have every office hire an extra $100k/year software developer to sit around in case someone needs a large data set to be processed and then spend 12 weeks designing, developing, and eventually supporting a specialized database schema and interface for what might just be a one-off use?

Modern hardware includes GPUs integrated directly into the CPU itself. You almost can't buy them separate any more. It's irresponsible to write software that can't make use of GPGPU where there's an advantage to doing so.

Comment

Not at all. GPGPU usage makes things faster and it saves on battery life.
                      Very much situation dependant. I'd be inclined to think it increases power use for the spreadsheet scenario, having to power up more shader cores, move things to VRAM.

It's irresponsible to write software that can't make use of GPGPU where there's an advantage to doing so.
                      Just like autovectorization, once cpus have fully integrated gpu units with unified address space and no penalty for using the gpu, it's the job of the compiler to make use of it with existing code.

It's irresponsible to require random app foo developers to learn a domain-specific language for a minority use case, when the compiler should be able to do a good enough job for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X