Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qlum View Post
    Personally I would just be happy if amd bumps up its opengl performance
    AMD >> nvidia. Now sure what rabbits you're expecting them to pull out of their hats....

and makes its closed source linux drivers on par with windows
    Its.... get this.... THE SAME DRIVER.

as I am not that much of an open source fetishist to need it open source.
    No, you just like having to run an obsolete kernel/xorg, and have the whole thing fly apart at the seams every time you upgrade anything at all, and be limited to the capabilities of a wondoze driver when trying to do things that **linux** needs to do.

... what do they call that again? Masochism. But hey, whatever gets you off...

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
      I think OpenCL in Blender 3D is more important than in LibreOffice. The Blender developers say that AMD is not cooperating with them to have good OpenCL support.
      AMD is going to spend tens of thousands of $$ on the support for.....

a) All 3 users of blender?
      or
      b) All millions of users of libreoffice?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Maybe, but Blender is not an First Class User program.
        Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        AMD is going to spend tens of thousands of $$ on the support for.....
        a) All 3 users of blender?
        Are you kidding me, right?
        blenderartists.org is much more active and with more users than any LibreOffice forum I know.

What was asked and how was the answer?
        Whenever you ask on blenderartists.org why AMD does not have good support for OpenCL on Cycles, they blame AMD and its uncooperative.
        Maybe AMD should try have a better relationship with the developers of Blender, as it is doing with LibreOffice developers.
        Hello, I have a AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series graphics Card but Blender doesn’t seem to recognize it in order to use it with Cycles, I’ve tried updating the drivers (my PC is new anyways) and nothing happens. How can I make sure I can do GPU rendering with cycles? Thanks for reading!

Comment

Blender Cycles renderer is not the only one not running on AMD GPUs. A few commercial GPGPU renderers won't either. AMD OpenCL compiler seems to have problems with complex kernels. From what I've heard the compiler inlines all function calls and will blow up on such beasts as Cycles.

Comment

its about goddamn time... just remember when AMD brought forth the athlon64 and no operating system was able to use its potencial. especially in this short lived business they need to take care that software can use the hardware fully by the time of the hardware release. its nice to have new experiments and ways but you may need to take care that someone can use it. and iirc the first (mainline-user) OSes that were 64 bit aware were linux distributions. why not continue? amd has a playground here and can only win popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              AMD OpenCL compiler seems to have problems with complex kernels. From what I've heard the compiler inlines all function calls and will blow up on such beasts as Cycles.
              What has AMD say about this?

Comment

OpenCL support on r600 hw is making progress, even if the gallium compute page does not reflect it.
                Constant Address and local address are supported ; I'm not sure about private address, I think we replace private address with classic gpr/arrays. What's remaining is mostly synchronisation support and image read/write, although they require some work. Hopefully clover/r600g will support OpenCL 1.0 before the end of 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                  Whenever you ask on blenderartists.org why AMD does not have good support for OpenCL on Cycles, they blame AMD and its uncooperative.
                  Maybe AMD should try have a better relationship with the developers of Blender, as it is doing with LibreOffice developers.
                  http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...AMD-and-Cycles
                  They dont have an Problem with OpenCL because they use CUDA for Cycles and not OpenCL.

Comment

They dont have an Problem with OpenCL because they use CUDA for Cycles and not OpenCL.
                    That seems questionable for an open-source project...
                    Is OpenCL really that worse then CUDA?
                    (Maybe NVidia's implementation is... For a good reason.)

I wouldn't be surprised if that CUDA dominance is mainly
                    the result of good marketing by NVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      I mean maybe from a developer persepective I could understand how somebody could want that, but from a user perspective that makes no sense... as user if you feel that way, just buy a nvidia card and let the amd guys there freedom.

some users dont want nsa-backdoor-updates from nvidia...
                      But Nvidia OpenCL performance suck, has they are based in CUDA, thus need to go through a compatibility layer.

Anyway the OpenCL acceleration is mostly beeen developed for APU use, not dedicated GPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X