Opera 15 Is Here, But Not Yet For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    And you feel entitled to dictate the license developers have to use because of what exactly?
    For the same reason (whatever that may be) why people like him feel that Nvidia owes us open source drivers. IMO, if a company wants to make something for linux, be thankful they even considered us. The real asshats are the people who demand open source code yet are highly unlikely they will ever modify a single line, port it to another platform, have no legal obligations/restrictions, or put it in a distro that anybody even slightly cares about.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      IMO firefox is as good as its ever been. Right now its the only browser on linux that has all the features I need, has great addons, and butter smooth scrolling . Recent versions of firefox are also pretty good performance wise. Chrome still definitely wins when it comes to UI responsiveness under load, but when it comes to everything else they are fairly comparable, and firefox has way better scrolling and memory usage. I'm definitely sticking with firefox for the forseeable future, its still a great browser.
      Having been watching it from the sidelines, it's been steady downhill from my POV. The omni bar, changing the UI in every version (so the users can be excited, "what did they break this time", making it a learning experience! Just like every new version of MS office!), removing options from the GUI so they can only be accessed via FF's registry, and the general trend of having functionality that should be native be in XML+JS extensions.

I never needed an extension while using Opera, all the functionality I used was in native code.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I say source or get the fuck out!

Show us the source of fuck off!
        Proprietary asshats!
        To be honest, I kinda agree here, especially because Opera doesn't bring anything special over Chromium now.

Comment

I say source or get the fuck out!

Show us the source of fuck off!
          Proprietary asshats!
          Uh, right.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            A Chrome skin, with no native support for bookmarks, and an insecure URL bar. Welp, it's time to look for new browsers.

I hear FF sucks too nowadays. Is there any decent browser left?
            vimpropable

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              For the same reason (whatever that may be) why people like him feel that Nvidia owes us open source drivers.
              Well... that actually can be argued rationally.
              For example, for non-removable, typically mobile, soldered-in hardware. You don't buy it because its nvidia, but because its whatever else it is. Sometimes it isn't even disclosed that its crippled by nvidia hardware. In cases like this, I think they owe source code if only as a matter of respect.

For discrete hardware however, its hard to argue that they owe anything, because you pick that hardware by choice.
              For software such as opera browser, I couldn't care less. Its always been a completely crappy browser, and there are plenty of alternatives, that actually ARE open source.

Where it becomes an interesting argument is in situations of [near-]monopoly. When there isn't an alternative, and its being rammed down your throat by force.
              Last edited by droidhacker; 03 July 2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                And you feel entitled to dictate the license developers have to use because of what exactly?
                They are asshole parasites!
                They take Blink engine and build their entire software around open source software, then they refuse to share their own source code. That is parasitic!

Proprietary software can goto Windows and Mac.
                Linux and its entire software ecosystem should be free!

Comment

I tried this in Windows last night. It's a nice, clean, fast browser and I love the "Speed Dial" screen because it's easily manually configurable unlike other browsers where you have to practically trick it to show the sites you want on the "new tab" screen tiles. It renders pages quickly, tabs are created and destroyed instantly etc. It could be a bit of wishful thinking, but it seems even faster than Google Chrome. If nothing else, the Speed Dial page comes up more quickly than Chrome(ium)'s New Tab page. For the little bit of light surfing I do in Windows this browser is OK, but I was surprised at the lack of settings and features. I never was an Opera fan, but I would have to agree that this isn't "Opera" because it lacks most of the features of Opera.

That they felt they could get away with removing bookmarks, a standard function of all web browsers since the dark ages, is fairly arrogant. I don't use bookmarks, but someone with hundreds of bookmarks is going to have an unmanageable Speed Dial screen. Note that they carefully say to "choose the bookmarks you want to import into Speed Dial" in the information about the bookmark import utility. Even if they intend to bring them back in a future release, they can't leave users cold like that. If nothing else, implement Chromium's bookmark functionality even if it doesn't (yet) integrate with the rest of the stuff.

Comment

They take Blink engine and build their entire software around open source software, then they refuse to share their own source code. That is parasitic!

It's just the user interface front end that's closed source, I don't see why we should care about that. It's not the rocket scientist part of the browser. If someone wanted to add some feature of that, they probably wouldn't need to see Opera's source code to do it. They could simply implement the idea. There is no way I am using a closed source browser in Linux (I like to compile and optimize my own stuff... I don't use precompiled binaries of even open source software) but I don't really have a problem with this particular situation.

Besides, I think the Opera crew do intend to contribute back to the Chromium/Blink project. I had to sign up for the chromium-dev list in order to use Google APIs in my Chromium builds and I happened to catch the release announcement (pasted from yesterday):

Daniel Bratell (email snipped)
                    7:01 AM (5 hours ago)

to Chromium-dev, blink-dev
                    This morning my time, i.e. yesterday night for many of you, Opera released the first Opera desktop browser based on Chromium/Blink. It is called Opera 15 and is based on the chromium/28 release branch. It is a quite big break from our Presto based browser products, and Opera 12.x will live on for a while since the feature sets are not compatible (think Firefox 1.0 vs Seamonkey if you remember that time).

Most people here probably think of themselves as Chrome/ChromeOS developers but your work now has a new child and it's a happy child. I hope our contribution is making Chromium a better product and the web a better place.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ is the blog of our desktop team for more information.

/Daniel

Comment

Ah, the parasitic argument again. They comply to the license that was chosen for the software they use, so it can not be parasitic. You really should look up the definition and meaning of that word, I doubt that it means what you think it means.

By the way, when we are at it already, as I understand it you demand that all your software should be free, so that you can benefit from it. Do you actually have used the benefits of that free software and have you contributed back? Or are you just a leech? Like: Give me everything for free, now, but don't expect anything from me!

Comment

Working...
                      X