Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.6-rc4 Fixes 38 Bugs

Phoronix: Wine 1.6-rc4 Fixes 38 Bugs

Another Friday, another Wine 1.6 release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally The Witcher!

Comment

Wine is cool!

I'm really glad to see the direction Wine is going!

Wait a few more years and running Windows-applications will be as easy as running native ones, even in complex cases.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
        I'm really glad to see the direction Wine is going!

Wait a few more years and running Windows-applications will be as easy as running native ones, even in complex cases.
        It already is that easy. The only time you run into problems is with Windows games and those complex cases.

Comment

Definitely

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          It already is that easy. The only time you run into problems is with Windows games and those complex cases.
          Yes, it works for me most of the time and I know how to fix problems when they occur. A lot of things have changed positively in the last few years.
          I was rather speaking of newbies who expect a software to work "out of the box" and don't know how to fix given problems.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
            Yes, it works for me most of the time and I know how to fix problems when they occur. A lot of things have changed positively in the last few years.
            I was rather speaking of newbies who expect a software to work "out of the box" and don't know how to fix given problems.
            Its correct in last four years for example, wine have incredible grow: direct input support, many functions on directx as completed and many other things

But wine have good comunity, in many cases with this information solves many problems in various apps

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              Its correct in last four years for example, wine have incredible grow: direct input support, many functions on directx as completed and many other things

But wine have good comunity, in many cases with this information solves many problems in various apps
              Indeed, wine does have a great community. ~ every time i have hit Wine-devel list with a technical problem, i always leave with the info i need to either A). fix the problem or B). i leave with enough information to be able to reasearch / solve the problem on my own...

On top of that; there are so many out-of-tree patches floating around for wine ~ that if you have a specific use and/or just require some hacks to work around issues ~ 9/10 you will be able to find existing patchwork that likely will address the problem. (be that in the appdb, or just floating around the web).
              ___

On a general note: Wine-1.6 is shaping up to be a great release. ~ i just rebased (most) of my patches onto 1.6_rc4, as well as working on some other stuff (some of which isn't publicly available yet, but should be eventually, minus some proprietary / non-free code that i can't / won't be releasing.). I'm also working on a replacement for wineASIO, since it's x64 support isn't public. it's no matter though, i have a proof-of-concept that works around that;

< *Reaper x64* running in Wine + several *x64 VST plugins* running *without* using WineASIO >

< Ableton live 9 (x86) + Demo running in Wine *without* using wineASIO >

my protoypte/proof-of-concept is nowhere near ready for mass consumption (has a couple of showstopping bugs yet), but as an audio driver (in Wine) to replace wineASIO it certainly shows promise ~ especially for those whom would rather use 64bit proaudio software in Wine, then be stuck using 32bit applications (i use almost zero 32bit apps in Wine).

Comment

Working...
              X