No announcement yet.

Mozilla Firefox 23.0 Now In Beta With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Mozilla's Social Share API functionality is now exposed to developers.
    Does this mean we are also going to get new html tags instead off custom share panels?
    Hate those custom share panels, the static nature of hard coding social sharing sites is a disaster.
    Would like to have social html tags such as a sharing panel.

They seem to not have heard of the h-online approach, the Mozilla devs should take an example from this:
    http://www.h-online.com/features/Two...y-1783256.html

Comment

Something to note about the new mixed content blocking:
      it potentially breaks viewing certain sites with addons like HTTPS Everywhere:

They're working on a bugfix, but so far it remains unresolved afaik.

For those to lazy to follow the link:
      Basically, even if HTTPS Everywhere redirects unsecure elements to their secure counterparts (e.g. makes example.com css loaded from http://example.com/example.css redirect to https://example.com/example.css), Firefox interprets the loaded page as having mixed content, and blocks the redirected elements, probably breaking the page design.

Comment

Poor blink

Why did they kill <blink>? It had never harmed anyone! Well, not more than 3-D clocks with spinning globules following the mouse pointer, or swirling GIF snowflakes eating 75% of the CPU. So why did <blink> get all the hate? What shall we do next, inspect all CSS and remove questionable choices of background and text colour? Suppress the use of fonts of dubious taste? Institute a W3C validator for the fancyness of web pages?

Poor <blink>, with your untimely passing away, it's an era that comes to an end. I'll miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
          Why did they kill <blink>? It had never harmed anyone! Well, not more than 3-D clocks with spinning globules following the mouse pointer, or swirling GIF snowflakes eating 75% of the CPU. So why did <blink> get all the hate? What shall we do next, inspect all CSS and remove questionable choices of background and text colour? Suppress the use of fonts of dubious taste? Institute a W3C validator for the fancyness of web pages?e

Poor <blink>, with your untimely passing away, it's an era that comes to an end. I'll miss you.
          And there's no browser out there that still supports it? Firefox is not the only browser around.
          This is an example: lynx browser org, I know nothing other about this browser, than that I have used it a bit when my X.org crashed once for good, and I was like in the dark with a lighted match.
          Last edited by powdigsig; 29 June 2013, 02:58 AM. Reason: Maybe bad example

Comment

Can't disable JavaScript any more

On a side note, I just discovered that you can no longer disable JavaScript in Firefox 23. The reason is fear that a stupid user could navigate deeply into the advanced preferences dialog box, disable JavaScript in there, see that the internets are no longer working for him, become more stupid during the process as to not being able to navigate into the preferences dialog box and turn JavaScript on again, and then recover his smartness at least for the time required to file a bug report to Mozilla about the internet being broken.

A modest proposal to Mozilla: just disable the preferences dialog box, all of it. Advanced users can still manage their preferences through about:config, while non-technical users will be obviously scared away by the disclaimer they get when they try to get in there. You will decrease your support burden this way. Well, possibly your user base too, depending on whether you have more users who like to customise their browsing experience to the point of replacing the built-in browser which was comfortably installed by default on their operating system, or you have more users that disable JavaScript and then submit bug reports.
            </rant>

Comment

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
              And there's no browser out there that still supports it? Firefox is not the only browser around.
              This is an example: lynx browser org
              True, but text-mode browsers will do only as long as XTerm supports blinking text. Right now it does. Unfortunately, the framebuffer console doesn't seem to support it, it will give a bright background instead. I haven't tried if kmscon supports it, I'm not doing it just now because I'm afraid that it could crash my X session.

Comment

On a side note, I just discovered that you can no longer disable JavaScript in Firefox 23. The reason is fear that a stupid user could navigate deeply into the advanced preferences dialog box, disable JavaScript in there, see that the internets are no longer working for him, become more stupid during the process as to not being able to navigate into the preferences dialog box and turn JavaScript on again, and then recover his smartness at least for the time required to file a bug report to Mozilla about the internet being broken.
                Use noscript. Much more practical then disabling javascript completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Firefox 23 with h.264 support on Linux
                  Kernel 3.10 with Radeon UVD support
                  Kernel 3.11 with Radeon DPM support
                  KDE 4.11 with some of the biggest changes (I think) in a long time

The next 2-3months are gonna be very interesting for the OSS community haha
                  I just tried kde 4.11 on a kubuntu 13.10 live usb yesterday. man, on intel hd4000 its night and day. Not only is video tearing finally fixed, but Kwin's performance is massively improved, it was so butter smooth compared to 4.10. I'll probably be switching once 4.11 it comes out.

Comment

A modest proposal to Mozilla: just disable the preferences dialog box, all of it. Advanced users can still manage their preferences through about:config, while non-technical users will be obviously scared away by the disclaimer they get when they try to get in there. You will decrease your support burden this way. Well, possibly your user base too, depending on whether you have more users who like to customise their browsing experience to the point of replacing the built-in browser which was comfortably installed by default on their operating system, or you have more users that disable JavaScript and then submit bug reports.
                    </rant>
                    Totally disabling javascript is rather stupid and will break most sites, it makes sense to move a "destructive" action like that to about:config to avoid users accidentally enabling it. They didn't remove anything, they just moved an advanced option to where it belongs.

I'd recommend using the noscript extension rather than disabling javascript completelty anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Firefox 23 with h.264 support on Linux
                      [...]

What happens to distros which refuse to support proprietary codes and rely on Firefox as default browser?

so options they might have:
                      • abolish their "no proprietary codecs" policy
                      • make a exception of the policy or ignore that Firefox 23+ has h264 support
                      • remove Firefox from their repository
                      • include only a modified version of Firefox 23+ in their repo, which doesn't support h264

Comment

Working...
                      X