The FSF Has A New High Priority Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    So FSF 'highlights' what others should do? What a fucking joke this FSF is..... Do they actually do anything or just circle jerk about how hardcore they must be for creating the foundation?
    As much as I hate you and your posting style. There does appear to be a degree of truth in what you're saying this time.

Comment

i think this can be done in sh...

Comment

So FSF 'highlights' what others should do? What a fucking joke this FSF is..... Do they actually do anything or just circle jerk about how hardcore they must be for creating the foundation?
        Your trolling is weak, taking a quick look on my system to see what GNU tools I basically use daily:

bash
        gcc
        gdb
        make
        binutils
        coreutils
        grep
        sed
        gawk
        grub
        glib
        libc
        gtk+
        gzip
        tar
        gimp

These are only those which came directly to mind, there's certainly a lot I missed and a lot which I don't personally use. These are all actively developed projects, many of which are core components of all Linux distros out there. So yeah, they do a lot.

Meanwhile Michael who does precious nothing but put link-bait titles on information he re-cycles from mailing lists in order to get ad-clicks, claims they don't do enough unless they somehow magically (it's not as if they sit on a mountain of money) manages to provide solutions for any area where they might think there is a lack of open source alternatives.

They don't have the resources to support projects for all areas where they think open source alternatives are potentially needed, so they use their page to draw attention to these areas. No one is forced to go there and read, no one is forced to work on any of these suggestions.

Comment

It's a foundation, you idiot. Their goal is to raise awareness and provide assistance where they can.

Electronic Frontier Foundation doesn't write much software either. They don't write geymz for your windowz. It's not their jobz.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I don't see the utility of this application. It looks like its just a "WTF?-style" dumping ground for file sharing. People have never heard of FTP? Rsync? GIT?
            Its automated syncing of folders across the Internet. Small Daemon indexes all files in given folders, adds them to a private tracker. you're given a randomly generated 26 or so character key that you then plug into other sync clients. those sync clients query the tracker for what folders match that key and if there's a match they get added to the opposites folders. files are encrypted over the wire with that key, downloaded in chunks (of I believe 4kb)* and then that Daemon watches to see if the files change on either end and then syncs the changes.

This has a few big advantages....

1) Its automatic. I don't have to remember (nor does my mother BTW) to run the sync command.
            2) Cross platform since its based off bit torrent. no messing around with SSH on windows or SSL certs.
            3) Git, FTP, and rsync all deal with whole files. which makes them VERY bad for binary files. bit torrent gets around this by chunking everything.

I really really want to see this project come to life, because its unfortunate that something as critical as what you're trusting your files to is closed source. BT Inc has already stated there are no plans to open source the sync client, so its up to us
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

So they don't do shit. Nobody knows about fsf.org.
              No you don't do shit. And even a troll like you know about fsf.org.

Comment

Better idea

Give recent news, the FSF shoudl rather look into combining the various open-source encrypted messaging systems and so on into a really userfriendly package and promote that heavily as a "parallel internet" without NSA surveilance If it has features similar to Facebook, most people would not even notice is it not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  No you don't do shit. And even a troll like you know about fsf.org.
                  Don't feed the troll. Ignore lists exist for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Its automated syncing of folders across the Internet. Small Daemon indexes all files in given folders, adds them to a private tracker. you're given a randomly generated 26 or so character key that you then plug into other sync clients. those sync clients query the tracker for what folders match that key and if there's a match they get added to the opposites folders. files are encrypted over the wire with that key, downloaded in chunks (of I believe 4kb)* and then that Daemon watches to see if the files change on either end and then syncs the changes.

This has a few big advantages....

1) Its automatic. I don't have to remember (nor does my mother BTW) to run the sync command.
                    2) Cross platform since its based off bit torrent. no messing around with SSH on windows or SSL certs.
                    3) Git, FTP, and rsync all deal with whole files. which makes them VERY bad for binary files. bit torrent gets around this by chunking everything.

I really really want to see this project come to life, because its unfortunate that something as critical as what you're trusting your files to is closed source. BT Inc has already stated there are no plans to open source the sync client, so its up to us
                    many OSS torrents do auto downloading
                    rtorrent is one of if not the lightest

with rtorrent, netcat and a bit of bash scripting this all is easy to make (passing things thru AES is easy too)
                    making it more efficient is just a point of converting that bash script to a compiled language
                    even a gui can be made in shell scripting

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                      many OSS torrents do auto downloading
                      rtorrent is one of if not the lightest

with rtorrent, netcat and a bit of bash scripting this all is easy to make (passing things thru AES is easy too)
                      making it more efficient is just a point of converting that bash script to a compiled language
                      even a gui can be made in shell scripting
                      Still takes time to set up and get going. BTSync is relatively painfree and easy to setup, thats whats nice about it.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X