Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.2 Plans Are Laid With New Features

Phoronix: Qt 5.2 Plans Are Laid With New Features

With Qt 5.1 finally being released soon, Digia has begun to formalize plans for the Qt 5.2 tool-kit successor. Qt 5.2 is anticipated for a November release and will carry new features and functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A lot of people were betting on 2013 being the year of qt, but it looks like it will be 2014. Being able to write two qml interfaces (or one widget and one qml) for desktop / mobile and deploying to ios, android, blackberry, simbian, ubuntu phone, and every major desktop, is a really good value.

Also, you don't have to write html or css. Instant win over html5.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      A lot of people were betting on 2013 being the year of qt, but it looks like it will be 2014. Being able to write two qml interfaces (or one widget and one qml) for desktop / mobile and deploying to ios, android, blackberry, simbian, ubuntu phone, and every major desktop, is a really good value.

Also, you don't have to write html or css. Instant win over html5.
      FWIW: It's never going to be the year of GTK+, Qt or any Linux Toolkit that is cross-platform capable. It's never going to happen.

Comment

If Qt OpenGL gets deprecated how can I write pure OpenGL stuff (with my shaders, choosing a proper GL context etc), I don't want to use OpenGL indirectly thru an abstracted scripted language like qml or whatever it's called, I'm learning OpenGL and I want to use it directly, not an abstracted away solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          If Qt OpenGL gets deprecated how can I write pure OpenGL stuff (with my shaders, choosing a proper GL context etc), I don't want to use OpenGL indirectly thru an abstracted scripted language like qml or whatever it's called, I'm learning OpenGL and I want to use it directly, not an abstracted away solution.
          IIRC in qt 4 you could create a qglwidget or some such, and then work fully in GL, doing nothing more in qt. That's different from the qt gl wrapping, but I'm not sure if it's still there in 5.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Being able to write two qml interfaces (or one widget and one qml) for desktop / mobile and deploying to ios, android, blackberry, simbian, ubuntu phone, and every major desktop, is a really good value.
            Symbian is no longer developed and support for it has been removed from Qt 5. That being said there's also Sailfish from Jolla that uses Qt and a port is available for Tizen with native look and feel. They are also working on Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 port. The Qt commercial versio also has good support for various RTOSes that are used in embedded systems.

Comment

Working...
            X